Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterr

Beta member
Hi, I've not built a system in a long time and finally decided I needed to upgrade.

I've looked over some of the tutorials and need some help

I am considering the following:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Ram: G.Skill 2GB HK's
Graphics: ?
Hard Drive 1: Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB
Hard Drive 2:Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB
Optical: SAMSUNG Black 18X
Heatsink/Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7

I currently have an Antec True Blue 430W from a system that fried about a year ago. Will this work or will I need to get a new PSU?

I'm trying to skim some of the price off so I need help on the video card. The most demanding game I play is World of Warcraft (WoW) which my current setup lags when I'm raiding. So recommendations here would be great.

Do I need the Artic cooler if I'm not gonna overlock if not needed to play WoW?

You've done some good homework. What's your budget?
The PSu recommendation might depend on the graphics card so make that decision first. I'll let someone else recommend that to you since you're only playing WoW (and I'm sorry your life ended that way).

From what I know the Gskills are good but the Crucial Ballistix are better.

Did the Antec fry your system that you're pulling it from, haha?

You're not going to overclock? Why not? You've got a great system going to do it with and it'd be a shame if you don't.

Yep, looks good.

I am a little worried that this forum breeds a very small range of ideas: I mean, I see that build, and it follows along with most of the (very good I might add) advice that I've seen on this forum.

Now I have very little experience, but there seem to be a lot of builds (mine included) coming of this thread with just about the same specs. There seem to be about 3 generally accepted choices for each component, especially since Athlon and ATI seem to be only considered for budget builds these days. Maybe there should be a sticky with all the 'suggested' choices in!

I guess its because newcomers like me get good advice here, and subsequently their views follow those of the 'old timers' here. And since few people have the money to have tried and compared all these components, a lot of what is said is (I am sure) based upon knowledge gained from these boards.

Thats not to say other good views aren't put forward. Just today there is a good thread on the pros of the Asus Striker Extreme, a board which is generally sledged on this forum.

Anyway, its not a criticism, its just an observation.

oops long post! sorry to hijack the thread!

Hey Winterr...
welcometotf2xr9.png

Since he's only playing WoW at the moment, I would suggest a build along these lines:

Case - Your choice...
Motherbpard - Gigabyte P35-DS3L
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
RAM - 2 x 1GB GeIL DDR2-800
Graphic Card - PNY 7900GS 256MB
Power Supply - XClio GREATPOWER 550W
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB x2
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner

The power supply might be a little more power for the system, but I made this list so that it's very upgrade friendly. This list will enable you to upgrade to a GeForce 9 series and the future 45nm processor, without having to worry about the power supply. The build will also enable you to play more demanding games, in the future.

These parts not including the case, comes to about $800 without shipping charges.

They should have the same overclocking abilities. The only thing that the DS3L lacks, is RAID support, Ultra Durable 2, and 4 less SATA ports.

Thanks for the input.

The Antec psu did not fry the system. A bad fan on the Mobo did that :(

I already have a case as well (from the fried system). So I can skip that expense as well till I get tired of how it looks anyways.

The PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 actually is less than what I expected to have to pay for a card.

If I chose to use that Video card would I be able to play WoW at full settigs on everything? And would the Antec 430 give me enough power for the system using that Video card?

WoW is not very demanding.. the 7900gs is good enough.... the 7600gt might even do it.. if u want to you could get an x1950xt or an 8800gts 320mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom