Just tried to overclock my cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPonder14

In Runtime
i got it to this

i did this all through bios, i also noticed when i uped the cpu clock, the memory clock went up as well. Its now at 800mhz 1200mhz.
The voltage is 1 notch below 1.5v

I think I'm going to overclock my video card next. Then after that run orthos overnight?

ps: the idle temp is around 38 now with 2550mhz x6

When you change your FSB then it affects everything, including the RAM. From what I'm told, Start Oc'ing your CPU first, get it stable, and then start messing with your RAM. If I'm wrong someone please correct/dispute. I'm pretty sure you don't need to OC your video card and then stress the cpu at the same time. READ ALOT.

BTW - What is your system specs including case, cooling methods, etc.

Case - XION Hydraulic XON-566TB Black with Blue LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

HDD - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video Card - EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6550

PSU - Powertek PowerTek770W ATX 12V 2.2 / EPS 12V 770W Power Supply

Optical Drive - Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DVR-112D

Memory - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2B 1 Pack

memory timings

video card mhz(i changed the core bus to 675mhz, and the memory bus to 839mhz)

video card temp on idle

thoughts?

Pdawg has explained some information about overclocking. Anyways, are you running a stock HSF? That's fine if you are, but you might want to invest into an aftermarket HSF, preferably the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for your E6550. Right now, run your Orthos overnight. The longer you run Orthos the better it is. Orthos is only for stressing the CPU and RAM. For your GPU, that's a different story since you'll have to use ATi Tool, RivaTuner, or some other GPU overclocking program to overclock it.

Yeah that multiplier seems low to me. I know nothing about what multipliers they are using for these newer C2D, but my e6600 is running 9.

update:
Just tried overclocking again.

my idle temp is around 30-32 degress

Multiplier x7
Bus Speed 400 mhz
Rated FSB 1600mhz
Vcore 1.41-1.43 volts

memory frequency 400mhz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS Latency 5 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay 5 clocks
RAS Precharge 5 clocks
Cycle Time 18 clocks

does that sound alright?

err, I'm no authority on overclocking, but it does kinda seem weird to me that your ram is at half the frequency with such loose timings, 2.8GHz is ok, 470MHz increase, but I've seen some people do some crazy things with that motherboard

ah wait, that frequency isn't effective, eh? Double-date-rate, so frequency x2 = 800MHz and thus explaining the timings, but still, doesn't that memory run 800MHz stable at CL4? Tighter timings = better, no? I'm certain it would help boost your overclock.

Again, don't take me as any authority, I'm pretty new to all of this. But experiment, see if I'm right.

err, I'm no authority on overclocking, but it does kinda seem weird to me that your ram is at half the frequency with such loose timings, 2.8GHz is ok, 470MHz increase, but I've seen some people do some crazy things with that motherboard

ah wait, that frequency isn't effective, eh? Double-date-rate, so frequency x2 = 800MHz and thus explaining the timings, but still, doesn't that memory run 800MHz stable at CL4? Tighter timings = better, no? I'm certain it would help boost your overclock.

Again, don't take me as any authority, I'm pretty new to all of this. But experiment, see if I'm right.

Yeah i have the memory multiplier set at 2.0
Im trying to get the memory down to 4-4-4-12 but i dont see that option in my BIOS. Only it gives me the option of "OPTION1" or "OPTION2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom