Freaking sad story

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullpuNL

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I have a problem.

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to get some new computer parts from my first salary. I came home, took my old computer (well, my parents paid it but I was the main user (IT study)), and decided to get out all the components to put in the new ones. The problem is, the older computer was a Medion computer bought at the Aldi, and they have the annoying habit to make every pc part fit to each other. For example, I bought a new SLI v2 motherboard, but it wouldn't fit in the older case, and not because the case is too small but simply because they put in a little metal beam in the case to make sure you won't replace any parts and just keep buying their pc's.

I realised the motherboard didn't fit in so I'd have to wait for an opportunity to get a nice new case. Meanwhile, I assembled the older pc again so my sisters/mother could use it again. It didn't work, everytime I pressed the power button a strange sound would come out, indicating that something was wrong with the harddisk (I found out later). I thought I didn't connect the IDE cables properly, and since I don't know much of IDE (I am used to SATA) I decided to wait for my brother, hoping that he would know what to do. My brother didn't know what to do either so, my dad and me tried to connect the harddisk to the power supply of our older/other pc (worked, you could hear it reading/writing). However, it didn't show any sign of life when it was connected to the power supply of the original pc, so you'd think something is wrong with the power supply. But that's impossible too, because it can make sound when you turn it on (harddisk error part) and the fan rotates about 1/2 second every 3 seconds or so.I headed upstairs and after about an hour my dad called me, I came down, my brother was standing next to the pc and I smelled fire. Anyways, turned out that my brother removed some of the RAM memory and the motherboard ignited and that left a huge burn mark near the RAM slots.

My dad is giving me the fault, as "it worked before you disassembled it and it didn't work after you assembled it again". He wants me to pay or the motherboard (which is ****ing impossible to find, because as I said before the parts are adjusted to the rest of the pc) and the RAM, or to pay his whole pc. Can somebody make a conclusion of what happened by reading this story, so I can convince him the pc didn't get ****ed up just because I disassembled and reassembled it? Also, I just want to rock his arse by showing him what happened and letting him buy his pc/part himself. He is a **** after all.

too long;don't read: I am screwed :(

Can you guys help me out? Thanks, Bull

I think whatever happened must have been accidental, and therefore you wouldn't mention it, because nothing you explained sounds like it would cause that, nor do I believe merely removing the ram can cause the motherboard to fry.

How good of a pc was it?

You can build a basic Pentium D system for $200 if you use entirely budget parts and use your old CD/HD.

Hmm, it's about 2 years old.

Original, it was: Intel p4 3,0 ghz, 512 mb ram, ati 9800 XS (I think, not sure), 120 gb harddisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom