How to Change Boot Drives ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
My PC currently has (3)HDs. The boot drive is an older/slower 40GB. The other (2) are newer/faster (currently non-bootable) 80GBs.

I want to make one of newer 80GB HDs the main Boot drive. How do I accomplish this ?? And/or how does one make a current HD Bootable without corrupting the data that is already on it ??

BTW, the O/S is Windows XP.

I would think it is best to save all your files and reinstall windows. This way, you start fresh. No clutter from all the past uses. All your registry will be clear, all your past device listings will be clear, and all your uninstalled program files/registry changes will be gone.

There are imaging programs out there that will copy an entire image of one hard drive to another. MaxBlast, is the one that I use, however, I believe the destination drive has to be a maxtor.

There are probably some open-source/free-ware alternatives, but I do not know any of them.... btw maxblast is free as well.

There are imaging programs out there that will copy an entire image of one hard drive to another. MaxBlast, is the one that I use, however, I believe the destination drive has to be a maxtor.

There are probably some open-source/free-ware alternatives, but I do not know any of them.... btw maxblast is free as well.

Fine :angry:

Norton Ghost 12.0

but formatting is the best

yes, formatting is probably the best option, but sometimes its hard to migrate all the date correctly, and remembering everything you want.

Roger that guys.

So...if I want to make one of the 80GB HD bootable, Back-up or Create an Image then reformat and do a fresh install of XP correct ?

Will I then have (2) bootable drives ?? Meaning...will the old 40GB HD still be bootable as well ??

Two options: Bring over or reformat.
New Install: Back up old HD, format it and install windows on the newer.
Norton Ghost: Does a duplicate. Deletes old drive, boot off new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom