Getting a OLD PC maxed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFunks

Beta member
Hi guys,

I have a OLD PC that I found and would love to max this out and see what it can do for as cheap as I can.

The moherboard is a:
IWill KA266-R Ver1.3

I think the CPU is a 1.2ghz AMD but I am not 100% sure as I have not found where to find this info (Dumb i know :()

I only have 256MB of ram which is PC2100 DDR SDRAM Dimm inside of it.

I also have a OLD GFX card which is a Nvidia 32MB (It has AM64E1T-32M on the back) I have no idea of what it is.

I also have a basic audio card which I think is broke as I can not get a mic to work on it (For VOIP)

Apart from that it is all basic stuff.

I would like to max the ram which I think can go up too 3GB but I am not sure of which to buy....

I would also like to use the AGP slot for a nice cheap gfx card and maybe have a nice audio card for the PCI.

it will be using Ubuntu ot Xubuntu depending on how they run... I have Xubuntu on it now and it runs nice... But I would love to just see how cheap I can make this run and max it out.

Also maybe a nice silent PSU as the one I have make a lot of noise and that is a ST-350ATX.

One main thing I need to upgrade is the Hard Drive which I ripped out of a 486 which is only 4.5GB in size :(

I have ordered a Wireless Wifi card which said it works fine with linux. This cost me £15 and is all I have spent so far.

I also have a CRT Compaq P75 which is fine I think... For now anyway.

If anyone can help me on things I should buy and spec of things it would be great!

Thanks for reading, Da

well pc100 ram are obsolete and probably there won't be any 1G or 512mb there might be a 256 but check to see if your motherboard supports specific amount of RAM. too much ram will just be refused by the motherboard so if you can get that info you will know how much ram you can add onto it.

I have read it can take up to 3GB and it has 3 slots so 1GB per slot. Sorry I did have a typo it is PC2100 DDR SDRAM.... Sorry :(

If all you are going to do is surf the web and basic word processing....get 512mb ram and 40g hd. I wouldn't spend more money on that system.

Good luck

Do you think buying the ram off a place like ebay would be just as expensive as buying 512 as it would be buying 3GBs if it is from a shop? It is quite old ram... and if it is only 5 quid more i would liek to max it.

I know it is not a top of the range (Anything but) but it is sort of a project for me to see if i can make a old computer run a nice system like Ubuntu and be as fast as my other top notch PC.

It wuld be mostly used for Browsing the net, downloading from Usenet, Using image software, running a blog and maybe playing some basic Linux games.

Also it would be used by my girlfriend for Typing and using a excel type program.

Wait...you said DDR SDRAM...I could be wrong...but I believe it has to be either SDRAM or DRR, but I could be wrong...I haven't bought SDRAM in years...

with all of this stuff to get you're better off building a brand new pc

Can I ask why? This PC is free and all I really need is ram which is going to cost me about £20 and a hard drive (Not sure but cheap) and also a basic 64MB-128MB gfx card.

i think ill be spending about £80 maybe a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom