New way to cool pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm assuming you know how a freezer works.. It's bassicly that, but a bit supped up and has ALL of it's cooling energy/power focused on one little point down a tube which leads to your proc :p.

It involves a compressor, pressure drops, some R-134a refrigerant, and one **** of an overclock :p They're cheap too! But hard to find :(

Yeah, completely separately, I was thinking about that this morning. In heat exchanger terms, computer systems can afford to be rubbish- even hardcore air HSFs- simply because computers run so hot, all the heat transfer potential is there. The wonderful thing about a phase change system, is of course that the phase change of the refrigerant allows it to be colder than air at the point of heat exchange. Hence that joker having his motherboard out in ambient conditions was pretty stupid.

The same goes for the airconditioner (which is basically a fridge anyway, except it has an air humidifier): having the cold end in a normal computer case is just wasting energy, as all the heat you are taking out of the case is heating up the room, and your fans are just pushing your heated room air back into the case. So it wouldn't be much better than a normal fan system.

Ya, i cant wait for the snow to start falling, once it does its usually around 60F in my apt instead of the 80ish it is right now (ya im cheap) so i'll be able to get a lot more out of my quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom