Wow is this how simple water cooling is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people use some kind of algaecide in they're loop, I use Copper Sulfate which petras sells for something like 2 bucks. Fish tank cleaner is probably something very similar. You will only need a couple drops because of how little water is in a loop.

I wouldn't reccomend a fish tank radiator. You dont want to mix metals in your loop as it leads to galvanic corrosion. Most people generally agree that an all copper loop leads to the best performance. Stay away from products not designed for water cooling as they are, simply put, not designed for water cooling.

Distilled water while when completely pure is non conductive, the second you put it into your loop contaminants mix into it and it loses this property, thus dont spill it.

Once your loops is put together run the pump overnight with loads of paper towels stuffed inside in case you have any leaks.

Make sure all your connections have some kind of clamp on them, the best are worm drive clamps, and the worst case, use zipties.

When you get your radiator, make sure you rinse it out as there are chemicals left in it from the manufacturing process.

I use Tygon A-60-G tubing, available at Welcome to Sidewinder Computers - Your Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts because it is impermeable to light and thus nothing can grow, i.e. algae without light, remember photosynthesis from elementary school :p

To mount your radiator, the easiest way is to simply gut out an old 120mm fan to use an a sort of spacer between the case and the radiator itself. Swiftech sells a similar product for something like 15 bucks but just gutting a fan is cheaper.

And thats all ive got to say.

in all honesty for the price the Bigwater 745 kit is decent...nothing like a swiftech kit but it's a fraction of the price and does better than even the best air cooling like the Thermalright 120 Extreme.

When I had my 4400x2 I had it at 1.55vcore 3.03ghz and 100% load was around 43c.

As for the hose diameter, this is a common misconception...there is little to no difference between things like 9mm and 12mm hose diameters.

And the pump that comes with the bigwater 735 and 745 kits is decent as well, 400 l/hour and 2.1meter lifting height. Definitely nothing amazing but it does the job decently.

Most people use some kind of algaecide in they're loop, I use Copper Sulfate which petras sells for something like 2 bucks. Fish tank cleaner is probably something very similar. You will only need a couple drops because of how little water is in a loop.

I wouldn't reccomend a fish tank radiator. You dont want to mix metals in your loop as it leads to galvanic corrosion. Most people generally agree that an all copper loop leads to the best performance. Stay away from products not designed for water cooling as they are, simply put, not designed for water cooling.

Distilled water while when completely pure is non conductive, the second you put it into your loop contaminants mix into it and it loses this property, thus dont spill it.

Once your loops is put together run the pump overnight with loads of paper towels stuffed inside in case you have any leaks.

Make sure all your connections have some kind of clamp on them, the best are worm drive clamps, and the worst case, use zipties.

When you get your radiator, make sure you rinse it out as there are chemicals left in it from the manufacturing process.

I use Tygon A-60-G tubing, available at Welcome to Sidewinder Computers - Your Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts because it is impermeable to light and thus nothing can grow, i.e. algae without light, remember photosynthesis from elementary school :p

To mount your radiator, the easiest way is to simply gut out an old 120mm fan to use an a sort of spacer between the case and the radiator itself. Swiftech sells a similar product for something like 15 bucks but just gutting a fan is cheaper.

And thats all ive got to say.
You ARE the water cooling guru
too bad its above my budget :(

in all honesty for the price the Bigwater 745 kit is decent...nothing like a swiftech kit but it's a fraction of the price and does better than even the best air cooling like the Thermalright 120 Extreme.

When I had my 4400x2 I had it at 1.55vcore 3.03ghz and 100% load was around 43c.

As for the hose diameter, this is a common misconception...there is little to no difference between things like 9mm and 12mm hose diameters.

And the pump that comes with the bigwater 735 and 745 kits is decent as well, 400 l/hour and 2.1meter lifting height. Definitely nothing amazing but it does the job decently.

I disagree, high flow 1/2" tubbing is going to cool a lot better then 1/4th inch tubing. Like I was explaining earlier, what matters is the ability to abosorb heat and how much it can. Picture this: 10 gallons of distillled water can suck up a lot more heat than a single gallon could. And if that 10 gallons is spread thin (ex. Across a warter block) it's going to be able to absorb a lot more at once.

It may not make anything "cooler" but you can stress the CPU much farther without it getting warmer :p

? The whole point is to pull heat from the cpu and have it dissipate out of the water.

All increased water capacity will do is extend the time it takes for it to warm up, and after a few hours it doesn't matter as the cooling loop heats up and reaches equilibrium.

So unless you only use your computer 30 minutes at a time then your point is moot.

Besides, which kits come with 1/4'' tubing? My thermaltake kit has 9.5mm ID tubing which is nearly .4 inches and I can't seem to find the link but there was a review done with tubings of different diameters and it showed the difference was negligible at best.

gurusan does bring up a good point.

The water in the loop stays relatively the same tempurture and varies only 1-2 degrees C from the hottest to the coldest point in the loop.

For the record however, 400 L/H isn't all that much, the Laing D5, probably one of the most common pumps used, pushes 317 Gallons/H or about 1200 L/H

Well like I said, it's nothing special but it gets the job done. Also I don't think theres much difference in small closed systems like PC watercooling when you start going over 800 or so lph. The CPU block can only transfer so much heat into the water.

BTW....The swiftech mcp350 is another extremely popular pump and it does 350lph and has definitely shown to be an effective pump.

is that the pump that uses 3/8" fittings stock?

if it is petras sells a very nice delrin top for it that gives it better performance and 1/2" fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom