P R = Page Ranking (PR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubel

In Runtime
I was posting about P R's (processor ratings), and the forums decided to translate P R to Page Ranking.

P R could be anything: public relations, page ranking, processor rating, puerto rico... the context should define it, not the forums.

[/rant]

I would imagine that considering this is a computer forum that the community wouldn't want the forums to produce error when expanding acronyms that have several technical meanings.

No need to be rude.

AMD used P R on K5's, most K7's, and now most K8's. People used to jokingly call it "Pentium Rating" when it really stood for "Processor Rating" or "Performance Rating", since you could generally guess the equivalent Intel by taking the P R and comparing it to the clock speed of Intel's Pentium line.

Example: AMD Athlon XP 1500+ <-- P R, suggests that it's roughly equivelent to a 1500MHz Intel Pentium 4. But now, even though Pentium is dead, AMD is still continuing with P R's. I have an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ EE.

Intel is even using it's own form of P R with its new chips (although they refer to them as "Processor Numbers"). Example: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500.

If we want to have our words in acronym form... we should be able to... Someone's greedy for key words :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom