Problems with Radeon 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddball

Beta member
Hello,
I built a new system about 5 days ago, and everything has worked great til about 12 hours ago. I was playing Lineage 2 for about 20 mins, when the screen went black and then into sleep mode. Had to do a hard restart, then tryed to restart game, go back into sleep mode before game splash screen comes up. Tryed also to start UT2004, same problem. Sometimes after sleep mode starts, the screen will go back to desktop with an error message about the VPU Recover had to be used or something. The problems slowly got worse, to the point where i could not get past the windows log in screen withyout screen going into sleep mode. A few other things that seem wrong is if VC drivers are removed Windows starts up fine; the background screen pic for loading ATI drivers has a grid of dashed lines thru it; and when loading up windows for teh 1st time after removing VC drivers, the screen will flash once after about 10secs, and again at 20 secs, then go blank.

I have tryed several different cat drivers ranging from 3.5-4.6, changed almost all settings in ATI Display panel, MOBO and Windows is up to date.

Spec:
AMD 64 3000
MOBO k8x800 Pro II by Albatron
DDRAM 512MB PC-3200
Radeon 9800 Pro
80 gig SATA HD
DVD-ROM drive by sony
430w generic PS

My brother has a simual computer also (AMD xp 2800, not sure about mobo other then it is from Abit), so we switched VC, his 9600 Pro works fine in my comp, nothing changed at all beside teh VC. My 9800 Pro cuases the same problems in his comp as mine. He had a 600w PS in his, so i don't think my PS is teh problem. Is my VC just crapped out? I ran my comp for about 3 days before any problems came about, but i only had one intake (side panel) and one outtake case fan, could the card have overheated too much? I know the VC fan was working and the VC is the only card i got, everthing else is on the mobo.

Thanks, sorry it is so long.

your video card sounds like its gone up on you. Hopefully you still have the bill and it is still under warranty (ATI products are good for 1 year if I'm not mistaken). Return it and get a new one if you can.

dude this is weird... I think ATI has some defective parts. Cause the same thing is happening to me. I think im gonna exchage mine. I also have a giant II on it too so i dunno wtf is going on. But im gonna exchange mine. Im kinda relieved its happening to u too cause i thought it was my motherboard since its brand new. id rather have the video card be bad then the motherboard. But its the same thing with me. When i was playing SWG, the screen would just go black and in sleep mode. I think the GPU gets too hot and it automatically restarts its self. But i tried to take the card out and let it cool off for like 10 min and it works. So its somthing with ATI readon 9800 pro's.

**UPDATE**

ok, this is not good. After playing Lineage 2 last night using my brothers 9600 Pro, it started to show the same problems as my 9800 Pro. Played about 3 hours, screen went blank and into sleep mode. Restarted, the comp and game, worked for 45 mins or so and then went out again. After this i went to bed. This morning put in the 9800 pro again (don't want to kill the 9600 also) and once windows booted up the screen flashed after about 10 secs, then came back kinda messed up, then flashed again and nothing but a few lines w/ a white background.

I will post this on the MOBO website forum as well, and use my trusty old 1.4 Celron till i get it figured out.

I recieved everything for my new comp last monday and wensday, so i still got time to replace parts.

I think that your AGP slot might be defective, that is only a guess though, check your AGP voltage, and if that doesnt work try to find one of those programs that test your system. Like HotCPU I think or something like that and see if it says that your slot is trippin.

EDIT:And if your running and 8x, try running at 4x and see if that changes something. If that does make it run more stable then your slot is probably screwed, time for a new MOBO then

oijsadjdf wait... ok this is not making sence to me. I just upgraded. Like i just got my new motherboard and CPU i think on tuesday of last week.. I just got my video card on friday... (this past friday) how can this be? umm oddball what type of motherboard do u have? How do u check for the AGP voltage?

Ditch the generic PSU... Get a quality product (Antec).

If your Radeon has gone defective, u can get a brand new one with NO HASSLE AT ALL. Just contact ATI.

if your mobo has the option in bios set your voltage to 1.5 v.
Run memtest over night if you can to eliminate a memory issue .
If you have a piece of junk power supply you only increase the amount of headaches to figure out.Buy a good 1 with plenty of extra horsepower and be done with it .Considering without a power supply your computer is nothing.So why cut corners on the main item :).

agex000 said:
Ditch the generic PSU... Get a quality product (Antec).

If your Radeon has gone defective, u can get a brand new one with NO HASSLE AT ALL. Just contact ATI.

how do u even know i have a generic one? i have a antec 550..

Why don't you send it back and get a newer one? It could probably be the card itself that is defective. Hell, i'm running my 9800 Pro and seeing no problems, you should too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom