How to run 3G memory on 4 slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I am doing some film editing. I put together a new box, but for possibly several reasons it is a real stinker for film editing, it keeps freezing up on me. I'm going to upgrade it again, but I'm not up to trying vista.

I may not upgrade the memory. I really am not excited about getting two 512M sticks of memory, and if there isn't much to be gained, forget it.

you can turn off your page file if you get 3gb. you could do that with 4gb, too. i like not having a page file. it makes me happy. in my computer, windows (for some reason) only shows 2.75gb in the properties section. but i dont care, lol.
really, 4gb would be better because 2 x 512mb is almost as much $$ as 2 x 1gb.

hey i remember you explained what page file was but i forgot...
Im gonna be using vista on my new pc with 2gb crucial ballistix...so should i turn it off too?

depends on what you do....
some games will use a big chunk of 2gb. i didnt really have good results using 2gb and no PF. i dont know much about vista but fro what i gather it likes ram.
but with 3 and no PF i can tell a difference in speed. its not like massive or anything, but it is there.

i guess ill just leave it on then.
Sorry to dissappoint you, but im moving on to intel now...
i still appreciate you helping oc my cpu before.

well i guess i might buy some later on when i get money again...but what kind.
I want to be able to oc my pc fine and maybe oc the ram too. I want to make sure when i oc my pc, the ram will be running fine and nothing conflicts.

Since 32bit can create over 4G combinations, it theoretically should read 4G memory easily, but as I understand it some of the capacity is taken up by ROM, other drives, etc so there is only around 3G for RAM.

Also I've read most programs only are allowed 2G of RAM, which would mean any gains with another 1G would be minor?

The program that is giving me the most trouble is Premiere Pro CS2, I suppose that one only uses 2G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom