Hard drive issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been looking at the back of my harddisk box.

I can't imagine that without the 133 card it'll be that slow, all that should happen is that your OS will only see 137gb of it. So you'll definitely need a 133 card regardless, sorry about that guv!

Cogwork said:
Just been looking at the back of my harddisk box.

I can't imagine that without the 133 card it'll be that slow, all that should happen is that your OS will only see 137gb of it. So you'll definitely need a 133 card regardless, sorry about that guv!

well at the maxtor website there was a driver that changed the registry so that my OS would read all 200gb of the partition....

So thats not a problem......

this is really doing my head in!:confused: :confused: :confused: :mad: :(

I e-mailed maxtor support line but it said they take upto 48hours (buisness days) to get back to me so it could be some time....

If you have 2 or 3 pci slots to spare go for the ata 133 card. If your new drive doesn't work properly on that take it back tothe shop and exchange it for a different brand, with either hard disk you'll have the benefits of 133.

Ultra-ATA 133 Information

I seriously need a new PC - 3 PCI slots and a crappy ISA. urgh!

Ah ISA 56k modem on ebay for £5! I'm saved ha!

cheers for the info....

Although ive just seen in device manager than on my primary IDE channel (the one the hard drives are on) that device 2 (my new hard drive) the current transfer mode is "PIO MODE" so no wonder the rates are slow and my cpu maxes out.....

I dont get why its running on PIO mode though as i have it set to use DMA ultra is available.....

hmmmm

Think im def going to get the PIC adaptor but i cant take the Hard drive back cause i got it ebuyer and they only accept returns for fualty goods:confused:

I stole this from someone who stole this from another site. :)

Why is my drive using PIO mode instead of DMA in Windows XP?

Description
Why is my drive using PIO mode instead of DMA in Windows XP?

Answer
Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the affected channel, "Primary IDE Channel" or "Secondary IDE Channel". Reboot the system and Windows XP will reinstall the driver for the channel.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

If the mini-IDE driver for the device does not support stepping down transfer modes, or if the device is running UDMA mode 0, Windows XP will step down to PIO mode after encountering six or more CRC errors. In this case, a system reboot should restore the original DMA mode settings.

All CRC and timeout errors are logged in the system event log. These types of errors could be caused by improper mounting or improper cabling (for example, 40-pin instead of 80-pin cable). Or such errors could indicate imminent hardware failure, for example, in a hard drive or chipset.

Stolen from someone else..

With most motherboards, in bios, you will set both PIO and DMA to "Auto". If your drives support DMA or Ultra DMA you should be all set.

You also must be using the 80 pin ide cables that can carry the DMA dataflow speed (rated 133/100 for UDMA and DMA)

Last resort: you never loaded the drivers, for your motherboard, which allow UltraDMA. They should be on the driver cd that came with you MB or go to the mb vendors website and down load the latest drivers for your mb.

Korbee this is my first chance to respond back as i've been away this past holiday weekend.

The thing that occurred to me after i posted my first message was that it's not necessarily a BIOS issue - as confirmed by the fact that you checked your BIOS and it does indeed see the entire capacity of hte drive.

The one thing i you really need to double check is to make sure you are using a IDE cable that is ATA 133 compliant. Unless you are using a proprietary pc like Dell/HP/etc... the cable ribbon should have 3 connectors black, grey, blue... If memory serves me right, the blue end goes into the MB, black is the master, and the grey connector should be your slave drive.

It makes no difference in data transfer speed whether your hdd is set to master or slave.

Cogwork said:
Stolen from someone else..

Last resort: you never loaded the drivers, for your motherboard, which allow UltraDMA. They should be on the driver cd that came with you MB or go to the mb vendors website and down load the latest drivers for your mb.

That might be it... although i'm inclined to think that if his BIOS can already see the full capacity of the HDD, then he prololy has a newer MB with a chipset that can handle that speed (ATA 133). My suspicion is that the IDE cable that he's using is not ATA 133 compliant or it is the wrong cable.

Cheers everybody for the help!

Finally managed to sort it!!!! Was giving me such a headache but at long last its sorted and i now have 400gb of storage:p

Finally got it working by purchasing a:

"Ultra ATA-133 raid PCI host"

Installed it and its all running ok! Not sure what was wrong and to be honuest i really dont care because aslong as its running now its all good!!!!

Oh and lone wolf - I definately had the right cable running in the first place, i reckon it may have had something to do with driver issues!

:p :D :p :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom