RAID setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheeppOSU

Solid State Member
I am done building my computer now I was wanting to setup the hdds in RAID. I have read up some on this and wanted some opinions. The main reason I was wanting to do this was to help speed up performance for gaming.

After reading about Raid 0 I don't think I want to go that route. It sounds like if one drive fails you are basically in trouble. I don't want to have to backup everything every second I download.

Raid 1 seems like a better solution since it creates a backup and also improves performance.

This is the information I have gotten reading on various sites if its not correct please let me know.

I was curious if everyone thinks RAID is worth it or if I should just go with a normal setup? Also will the performance increase be that noticeable?

I also saw you need a floppy drive to install some drivers during the setup. Is there anyway to get around that like with a flash drive or any other way? Any information anyone can give would be appreciated.

RAID1 doesn't increase performance... but u really don't need a RAID, jsut go with one HD, but u can get raid5 (3 hd's) with performance and security

Ahh well thanks for the head up thats why I love and hate the internet at the same time =) Anyone can put anything they want on there. Well anyone think setting up RAID 0 is worth the hassle then or just set them up normal? I don't know how big a performance increase will be.

The performance increase is very minimal from what I have read... If I were to do a raid setup I would just do RAID 1,it doesn't have any performance value. But is a great way to backup all your data.

If you are strictly interested in gaming, don't RAID. If you are going to do photo or video editing, you will notice the increase in performance from RAID-0. Many on this forum don't see the value in a RAID configuration, because they are primarily gamers. I am in the process of building a computer and I will probably use a RAID 0 configuration. Not for gaming, though. Indeed, the newer computer setups are so fast that you don't need increased performance you get from a RAID confguration.

If you are strictly interested in gaming, don't RAID. If you are going to do photo or video editing, you will notice the increase in performance from RAID-0. Many on this forum don't see the value in a RAID configuration, because they are primarily gamers. I am in the process of building a computer and I will probably use a RAID 0 configuration. Not for gaming, though. Indeed, the newer computer setups are so fast that you don't need increased performance you get from a RAID confguration.

hmm true, but gamers r still going to RAID 0, it helps decrease time loading data before a game starts n probably during.

my friend wants to get another Raptor n RAID 0 it but i told him it's not worth it.

hmm true, but gamers r still going to RAID 0, it helps decrease time loading data before a game starts n probably during.

my friend wants to get another Raptor n RAID 0 it but i told him it's not worth it.

RAID 0 is no different than having only 1 HD. because with both if a HD crashes then all data is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom