Thermalright Ultra 120 worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyf

Daemon Poster
I just received my brand spanking new Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme for my upcoming build.
The trouble is, I'm not sure how Its going to fit into my proposed case (coolermaster centurion 534)- being so huge and all. Does anyone have experience fitting the HSF into a similar sized case.

As for my options if it doesnt fit, I was thinking:

a) new case! What will be big enough for it to fit? Antec 900? Coolermaster 830 (although its expensive)

b) Casemod!! wooo! I could just take a hacksaw to the side and fashion a kind of dome or bubble to screw over the top. Sounds quite cool, actually, esp with the 534, as it has steel sides, so if the bubble was perspex/ transparent bowl, you would just have the heatsink poking out the side. Got to take care not to bash it!

EDIT: ooh yeah, I forgot, Is it worth using the thermal paste include, or should I invest in some arctic silver 5?

It's best to invest in AS5 or MX-1.

Getting a bigger case about be the easier option. For sure the Antec 900 or Cooler Master Stacker 830 will fit. But where is the fun in that, when you can mod.

I was worried about the fitting, in my mid tower case too. But it turns out that it was just right, with about an inch of clearance from the side panel, and PSU up above.

I got my thermalright ultra 120 extreme in a centurion 5 case. The centurion 5 and 534 are the exact same width, I doubt you will have a problem fitting it in there.

It also fits in my antec 900.

that TT Ultra looks like a Tuniq. My Tuniq leaves me like 3 inches of room before it actually touches the side window of my case. Maybe its only 2 inches hehe.

Right then, thanks!
I'll just hang tight. Besides, if for some reason I do need to mod, It'll be fun!

So no I have to discipline my self to sit tight and not look at those shiny new boxes on the shelf until I have the cash to get everything else! urgh! Time to read the Mobo manual again!

If you have room for 120mm case fans it should fit. I have mine in an ultra grid and it sits about 1/2 an inch from the side port. I did have to take off the little tunnel thing that is used for stock heatsinks.

IF you go for a cm stacker 830, keep in mind you may not be able to use the 4 fan side panel as i cant with my tuniq. It has clearance, and the door will snap on but wont swing in.

mine is sitting at like 2 inches away from the side panel, and two inches away from the back fan which is like also two inches in width. So my tuniq is like 4 inches away from the back ports.

Edit: As you can see below, plenty of room.

untitled-9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom