RAM Adding Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi. Few days ago I've purchased an additional RAM stick, Samsng's PC133 256 MB SDRAM. I have 3 RAM slots on my motherboard, one was used by stick of PC133 128 MB SDRAM, and two others was used by two sticks of PC100 64 MB SDRAM. My CPU's (pentium 3) FSB is overcklocked from 100 Mhz to 112 Mhz, RAM is running at the same speed.

So I wanted to remove one stick of 64 MB and install stick of 256 MB instead.
When I did it, I turned on my comp, and he detects that the new stick (one with 256 MB) is only 128 MB. I run AIDA 32 and it tells me, that the stick have capacity of 256 MB (means that it is 256 MB stick, it isn't shop's trick) but comp using only 128 MB of it.

Maby anyone have any ideas how to make this stick run at full capacity of memory, (or I should change it to two sticks of 128, and then replace another 64 MB stisk, and stay with 3 stiks of 128 MB).

Thanks
-AndreiD

Right, as Rakesh stated, make sure that the 256 MB module is installed in the 1st slot.

When you boot up to your windows OS, go to system properties by R-click on 'My computer'. How much memory does it say is installed in the PC?

smartech said:
When I did it, I turned on my comp, and he detects that the new stick (one with 256 MB) is only 128 MB. I run AIDA 32 and it tells me, that the stick have capacity of 256 MB

How is that you are able to report on just one RAM module. Are you saying that during boot up screen that's how much is reported? Or is that windows reporting it??

Windows (My Computer's properties) reports that I have 320 Mb of RAM. the same thing I can see on boot up, in bios.
But in AIDA 32 you are also able to see info about every memory module separately, so it shows tat I have one module of 128, one of 64, and one of 256, that using only 128 of it. So 128+64+128=320, the same thing as BIOS and windows reported.
But it need be 128+64+256=448. :-(

And about the order of installing. I've tryed a lots of configurations, I'll check it again, but I don't think that that is the problem.

-AndreiD

hey you should remove the pc 100 64mb if the rest of your rams r pc 133 sometimes it conflicts ... wot your pc is doing not using ur 128 mb... and also is ur AGP or VGA wot ever is built in or not because it shares memory sometimes.....

Smart Tech, just disregard vnet's posting. 'that AGP wot ever' thing-a-ma-bob' he mentioned has nothign to do with the amoutn of RAM your system is reporting.

All ram is backwards compatible in speed so using the PC133 and PC 100 in your system will be fine. Your RAM will just run at the slowest link in the system. Which is PC100.

Lone Wolf said:
Smart Tech, just disregard vnet's posting. 'that AGP wot ever' thing-a-ma-bob' he mentioned has nothign to do with the amoutn of RAM your system is reporting.

All ram is backwards compatible in speed so using the PC133 and PC 100 in your system will be fine. Your RAM will just run at the slowest link in the system. Which is PC100.

wot is it with you havnt u ever seen a pc with 8MB or 32 MB shared with an built in agp card..?? some board even in the bios show the subtracted amount of memory like if u have a 128mb and ur agp shares 8mb it will show 120mb ...I know the new boards dont show it like that though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom