Best laptop for a student

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would also be a good idea to get an external harddrive to back up everything. Seems like everyone I knew with a laptop had a major malfunction after 3 or so years. Plus you'll keep your notebook HD clutter free.

What will you be majoring in?

OMG, you need a Dell!!!! They offer excellent student discounts. Check your local Dell University promos. For you, the Inspiron line would be best since they target home users and students. They're starting price is really, really low starting at $499 for the cheap one and $699 for the more higher end Inspirons. It goes up after you configure it. But their base model will get everything done for you.

AMD powered systems will definitely help reduce the price of your laptop. I got the Core 2 Duo because they are better than AMD at the moment. Since you're not into gaming, you can afford to go with a lower cost system.

Dell Notebooks - Home & Home Office

I wouldn't.. The laptop AMD cpu's are really very slow when you're paying $1000+, they could barely compete with Intels last generation of mobile cpus and are utterly blown away by any core 2 duo. You do realize that the tx1000 is a tablet right? That's why it costs so much and I doubt you need a tablet. Tablets also have worse screens then regular laptops.

If you want to keep this latop for awhile I really do not recommend getting an amd unless you really want to save money.

If you want something more portable then the dells inspirons etc., you could look at dell xps m1330, the base model is $1300 without the education discount but that is a little pricey (you do get a very nice laptop bag free though and the laptop looks **** nice).. also they are having problems shipping all their orders out.

A 14" lenovo t61 can be had pretty cheap with modest specs and they're VERY durable, pretty lightweight, thin, and very powerful even modestly specced. A 3-4 year warranty is also pretty cheap ($100-$130).

HP 6510 can be had $1100 with 3yr warranty and they are nice and pretty light (5lb)
HP Compaq 6510b Notebook PC Small & Medium Business

"omg you need a dell!" DUDE! hahahahah reminds me of that past spokesperson..yea the one who got arrested for marijuana...

anyways id say get a macbook! macs are running intel processors now and their prices are dropping. macs have superior stability, and are not prone to viruses/spyware. this means less crashing, less time wasted waiting on your computer, as macs just simply WORK. thast the nature of linux based OS's over windows based os's, so its not like mac technology is so special and new or anything. also, there is microsoft office for mac, but apple also offers a cheaper package called iWork. this will do most things office will do but in mac style, and it also is fully compatible for office as well (apple would be stupid if it wasnt!). if all else fails, you can always use google docs and spreadsheets, which is free and is internet based!

if the idea of having OS X still scares you...intel macs can now boot WINDOWS as well! this way you can have 2 different OS on the same system, OS X Tiger and Windows! I currently have windows XP installed on my imac at home. this operates just like any other PC, so you can always go back to windows, in case you need to use that 1 program that is not mac compatible.

thast my lil apple plug, goodluck on ur choice!!

I wouldn't.. The laptop AMD cpu's are really very slow when you're paying $1000+, they could barely compete with Intels last generation of mobile cpus and are utterly blown away by any core 2 duo. You do realize that the tx1000 is a tablet right? That's why it costs so much and I doubt you need a tablet. Tablets also have worse screens then regular laptops.

If you want to keep this latop for awhile I really do not recommend getting an amd unless you really want to save money.

If you want something more portable then the dells inspirons etc., you could look at dell xps m1330, the base model is $1300 without the education discount but that is a little pricey (you do get a very nice laptop bag free though and the laptop looks **** nice).. also they are having problems shipping all their orders out.

A 14" lenovo t61 can be had pretty cheap with modest specs and they're VERY durable, pretty lightweight, thin, and very powerful even modestly specced. A 3-4 year warranty is also pretty cheap ($100-$130).

HP 6510 can be had $1100 with 3yr warranty and they are nice and pretty light (5lb)
HP Compaq 6510b Notebook PC Small & Medium Business

Thing with dell is that they're not very light. I'm looking into Vostro but that beast is 6lbs!!! with that in my backpack, I don't think I could put a big book with it. As that would be like lugging aroound 15lbs of stuff. That's too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom