Installation advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Alright guys, I just bought a new Gigabyte N650SLI motherboard, Pentium Core 2 Duo processor, and eVGA 8800GTS video card. My question is:

What's the best way to install all this? Do I need to reformat the hard drive? Is there any particular process or sequence that I need to go by? Any advice is appreciated.

Also, what's the best way to backup my iTunes library so I can keep all my music after the reformat? My iPod is broken but I do have a DVD burner. Any recommendations there?

yes.. u need to reformat.. because if u already have windows xp on it.. and it will crash because of Mobo drivers clashing..

just go to ur My Documents.. i think Itunes exports there

If you absolutly do not want to reformat you can run a windows repair after you install all of the new hardware. You still want to back up you important data ie itunes before doing this. It works most of the time but I ALWAYS prefer a clean install.

Don't rely on a windows repair, then you're chances of being screwed are quadrupled. Simply back up everything you want onto some DVDs and then start putting in the new stuff. Be sure to ground yourself to the case. I'm to cheap to buy a bracelet, so i just take some bare wire, speaker wire or something, and tie it around my wrist and attach it to the case on any bare metal parts.

After everything is set up, boot up with your windows disc, and reformat the hard drive. Once that's complete, install windows from booting from the disc.

All there is to it :p

Another good idea is to always put windows on a 30~50gb partition so that if you reformat, you only have to do that partition for a clean install. Static straps are like 6 bucks, i bought one because im the type of person that gets shocked EVERYTIME i touch anything metal. Figured better safe than sorry.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, that's a good idea for multiple reasons, It can increase performance as well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom