PC randomly shuts down!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubbed

Solid State Member
Hi all!

So my pc has been up and running perfectly without any problems for under 2 years now. But ever since last week my computer has been randomly turning itself off.

Sometimes it happens once or twice in about 8 hours, and sometimes it happens 3-4 times in a row in just a few minutes.

I know its not the ram as the computer would usually reset,crash or give me a bluescreen. Im using a good 400w PSU but its around 4 years old.

I have checked the CPU temperature and it seems fine, around the 52 degree mark. The fan speeds are fine.

I checked the voltages and someone told me the 12v is a bit low.
Current values are:
Vcore - 1.39
+3.3 - 3.49
+5.0 - 4.95
+12.0 - 11.65

I then realized I had installed new gfx drivers for my radeon x1600 card last week (when the problems first started occuring). So I am thinking this has something to do with the random shut downs. This guy then told me that th problem is due to the "PCI-E power draw".

Does anyone know what steps I can do to fix this? should uninstall my gfx card drivers and get older ones? help!

Its also possible that your power supply is just getting tired and weak. Power supplies do die after all :)

it was a hiper psu i think 400w, i'll double check soon.

i just hate to spend about £50 on a new PSU and find out its not the problem! (im in uk).

amd 64bit 3500+, 1 gig ram, radeon x1600, Asus A8N-SLI SE mobo.

Before you buy anything defiantly roll back your video drivers. If that doesn't work then I would agree that your PSU is 'out to pooch'.

BTW your voltages are all fine. the +12 can drop quite a bit and still be fine.

great! thanks for all the replys people. and yeah i'll stick around :D can learn alot from these forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom