OC'ing a Budget Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Hey there. I will soon be buying some new parts to be complimenting some old parts that I have from my current computer.

* = old

Intel C2D E2140
Crucial Rend 1GB DDR2-800
ASRock 4CoreDual AGP/PCI-E mobo
Nikao XBlade w/500W PSU
Western Digital 2500JB 250GB 7200RPM EIDE HDD*
256MB Sapphire 9600XT*
Pioneer DVD-RW*

It's a super cheap setup considering that I'll save on getting a video card, an HDD, an optical drive, and the other parts are cheap to begin with. As for the psu, well, I believe it'll run my setup fine, I really want to keep the budget tight as can be.

Well now, as for the E2140, I've heard some good things concerning overclocking. Thing is, the mobo I chose is not 100% the best for overclocking, but I've heard that it'll do the job decently and I need some of its features. Another thing about the mobo is that it'll only support up to DDR2-667. Now I know that DDR2-800 will work just fine and at better and more stable timings, will this help the overclock?

Bah, cutting to the chase here, can you guys list some comments or whatnot about either how overclockable such a setup might be and how I should go about reaching the best possible overclock? Anybody have any experience with the E2140/60? Care to share your stepping?

hrmm never had experience with that mobo.....

but like any other mobo.. just raise up some fsb.. and if possible play with some vcores when you get unstable.. not much more else to say here?

Well I'm debating whether I should get DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 for this board. It only supports up to 667, but that means that running the 800 @ 667, I can run it on lower timings, right? And wouldn't that added stability help overclocking? or would it be more stable to stick with DDR2-667??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom