Heat concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadedstar

Baseband Member
Hello,

Currently running on a Athlon XP 2500+ not overclocked. Using the fan/heatsink that came with the processor. Everything is mounted in an Antec Sonata Case. I had some heat concerns since a couple days and bought another 120mm fan for intake (Antec Smartcool) and the Artic Silver 5 for the cpu (didn't use any thermal paste when building, just the wax pad that was on the heatsink.

When removing the heatsink to add some paste, i realized that the wax pad melted and felt all around the cpu. Removed everything, cleaned carefully with acetone and followed the instructions carefully to apply the thermal paste.

Now, the cooling isn't really better. I still get a cpu at 57C with a system temp of 41C when doing nothing. During intense gaming, cpu reaches 63C and system 45C .

I know that thermal paste can take up to 200 hours and several temp cycles before reaching maximum efficiency but I thought that results would be better than that at first.

Is the heatsink/fan that comes with the AMD cpu crappy or what?! Don't know what to do to improve...

.fs.

A) your gonna have to improve your case airflow, add more powerful fans, whatever that case temp is way too high

B) organize your wires, hide em, whatever just get them out of the path of the airflow

C) I think you mounted it wrong, or didnt follow the artic silver 5 instructions.

D) You could also lap your heatsink.

fadedstar said:
Hello,

Currently running on a Athlon XP 2500+ not overclocked. Using the fan/heatsink that came with the processor. Everything is mounted in an Antec Sonata Case. I had some heat concerns since a couple days and bought another 120mm fan for intake (Antec Smartcool) and the Artic Silver 5 for the cpu (didn't use any thermal paste when building, just the wax pad that was on the heatsink.

When removing the heatsink to add some paste, i realized that the wax pad melted and felt all around the cpu. Removed everything, cleaned carefully with acetone and followed the instructions carefully to apply the thermal paste.

Now, the cooling isn't really better. I still get a cpu at 57C with a system temp of 41C when doing nothing. During intense gaming, cpu reaches 63C and system 45C .

I know that thermal paste can take up to 200 hours and several temp cycles before reaching maximum efficiency but I thought that results would be better than that at first.

Is the heatsink/fan that comes with the AMD cpu crappy or what?! Don't know what to do to improve...

.fs.

Yes it is. Get this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=872836&Sku=Z20-1002&CatId=792
Quiet, but quite cool. It will probably reduce your temps by 5c.

What about your case cooling? Do you have any fans taking out hot air and bringing in cool air?

A) never order from tigerdirect, you may never get what you ordered.

B) a better heatsink/fan will only help so much, the case temp needs to come down a lot also, which will bring down the cpu temp.

the case temperature is fine.. 40c is fine.. does your mobo have a built in heatsink fan? how many fans do you have in your case total? not including the psu..

if worst comes to worst just simply open your case and let the computer sit there openly, it will reduce the temperature depending on how cool your room is..

Hello, 40C is not fine, it is absolutely horrible, 30C is ok, mid 20C is good. My cpu temp doesnt even get to 40C, but please do say how many case fans you have. Also cut out those fan grills.

40c case is fine..

my case runs at 36-39c and 40-41 c on hgih load with my cpu running at 39-41c idle and 42-46 on load.. thats normal temperature with stock/heatsink fans, and only 3 fans in my case.. (not including psu)

40c.... is fine.. its his cpu thats horrible..

what no one paying attention here 40C is not fine, and his cpu temp will come down with better case cooling.

lol im not going to argue with you.. with his case being at 40c his cpu should not be at 57c in the first place.. its the fact that

a) he probbaly doesnt have a good heatsink/fan

b) amd's run hot..

a) I know the stock is bad, I've used it

b) anything 2400+ does not run hot damnit

If he lowered his case temp to 30C, his cpu will come down quite a bit also, and its cheaper then getting a new hs and hs fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom