Find deleted file

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicked23

I know things...
I have an employee that wrote a nasty letter to an undeserving person here at work. If they sent that document to recycle bin then emptied it. Is it still possible to find it on there PC. Thanks.

Yes it is possible but it may have been destroyed if it was deleted a long time ago and then much space became occupied, i personally use Tune up Undelete with tune up utilities 2007, you can try the free trial unless you want to buy it or pir@** it. You can download the free trial from here

A hard drive can't delete data. Instead, it tells "deleted" data to be over-written. You can delete whatever you wanted on your PC and it would still be on the hard drive so long as it doesn't get over-written. However sometimes it can become corrupt if parts of the file have been over-written.

There are lots of programs out there to do it. Try a quick Google search.

Actually a file can be deleted. But instead of calling it deleted they cal it erased. There are sever applications out there that will do this. They make several passes over the spot where the data is located to make sure that it is gone. But all of this is futile. Since many governments do have software that can still recover the data after all of this. But to fully delete use a app called eraser. Eraser - secure data erase tool to blitz files on your hard drive - FREE To recover anything is easy. If you ahve the right applications.

That's what I said if a large part of the disc becomes occupied then there are more chances to overwrite your deleted file. I use tune Up shredder to secure delete files, but i think also that cmd has an erase command.

Tune up found it. Thanks mssssee2. Interesting on some PC's I searched I found traces of files deleted up to 6 years ago.

CrazeD- I did google it, but everything pointed to the recycler dir on C:, but when I looked in it there was nothing there.

Mak- If I ever need to hard erase something I'll give it a whirl.

so can data be removed? isint it impossible? because somthing just dosent disapear, it has to go some where.
and ever if written, isint there space where the original or new file is alittle smaller or bigger? so making a small amount of other ??? space?

ok just to make things clear about data deletion. When data is deleted, its is made not visible to the user and then the sectors get marked for Windows to write to those marked sectors whenever it needs to write data, there is a trace or a shadow of the data still on the harddrive till it get overwritten. So there is a possibility of recovery just as long as no new data it written to the harddrive.

** Things that people might now know **
Windows is very effective at using disk space, it will not write to blank sectors of the harddrive unless it has too, it will write to the sectors which the files you just deleted were stored on

Thus if you accidentally reformat your computer, Windows will install on the same part of the harddrive as your previous Windows installation, making recovery almost impossible with regular recover software

As far as actual data deletion, there is a free software called DBAN which overwrites you entire harddrive with 0 and 1 about 2 dozen times making recovery impossible

some recovery software i recommend is GetDataBack and File Scavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom