SATA hard drive detection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So yeah I got my new system running and amazingly nothing went wrong...except it doesn't seem to be able to detect my seagate 320 mb hard drive. During the windows XP install I saw both unpartioned drives and choose to install xp on the raptor, and thats the last I saw of the seagate 7200.10 80 gig hard drive. I thought these things were automatically detected? Whats the next step in me getting my computer to detect it?

yes or run the hard drive utility from the RUN process. I forget the code you have to type to get to it.. but you need to partition the drive before windows will recognize it.

yes or run the hard drive utility from the RUN process. I forget the code you have to type to get to it.. but you need to partition the drive before windows will recognize it.

arg I knew I shouldn't have left the drive unpartitioned ( I did with my WD raptor as well but I guess the install of xp on it partitioned it )

Anyways in the hardware device check I see the seagate drive, it just doesn't have a letter assigned to it so I can put stuff ( real lamens terms here :p )

So How would I go about partitioning it now that I installed windows xp?

You can go to the administrative options, then go to disk management. And if the Seagate shows up there, you can set up the partition, and format it. Or you can use a program called Partition Magic. Not freeware, I believe.

You can go to the administrative options, then go to disk management. And if the Seagate shows up there, you can set up the partition, and format it. Or you can use a program called Partition Magic. Not freeware, I believe.

Nice thankyou so much i got it online! I put it the letter S for seagate. BTW I did the partition in NTSF and left the allocation unit size to default ( should I have selected the max number? )

Arg why can't I change the Raptor drive letter :( its left at C

No problem.

Shouldn't the main hard drive, I assume your Raptor, be C?

Sometimes when I reformat I pick an allocation unit, such as 4096, and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if it has a big effect, but the both times I've done it without selecting and selecting an allocation unit size, I saw no difference.

No problem.

Shouldn't the main hard drive, I assume your Raptor, be C?

Sometimes when I reformat I pick an allocation unit, such as 4096, and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if it has a big effect, but the both times I've done it without selecting and selecting an allocation unit size, I saw no difference.

yeah my main drive is the raptor and xp set it to C I guess and i was wondering if i could change the letter. No biggie really...just would rather prefer the letter R :p

Er also it said formatting the seagate HD and that took forever...did I even need to format it since nothing was already on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom