OCing my 8600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
Well I was talking to someone today semi-telling me how to do this, I downloaded "ATi Tool" for my eVGA 8600GT 256mb. My stock core/memory is 540/700 I ran the Max Core and Max Mem thing and when I started seeing artifacts and hearing beeps I backed it down and set my core/memory like 20/40mhz back down from where it was artifacting. Now, I have them set at 660/800 Is this sound ok? I'm running at 56c, when ATi Tool is minimized and when I open it, it can climb all the way to 86c. IS THIS NORMAL? Now... How long should I scan for artifacts with the current setup... I saved it as OC. I'm just verifying to make sure I did everything ok? And everything is set right etc... I don't want to fry my brand new card. Quick Help would be great?

Thanks in Advance

just download nTune from nvidia's website... don't go with ATi tool yet.. i don't think your ready for that :p

Woah Nos?! nTune is much more difficult. Well to me, it seems way more difficult then ATi Tool.

86C, it climbs up to there when you minimize ATi Tool? Were you doing anything? 86C is way to warm for that card. What was the Max Core and Max Mem clocks?

i dunno, i always found nTune to be more idiot proof... like you can't really mess up with it... or actually... i think i may just be talking about the nvidia control panel method of OC'ing.. with the 100 series of drivers... with ATi tool things seemed to crash a bit more easier with my x1950xtx and 8800gts

lol their both actually pretty easy... i forgot what i had used.... but i loved it.. i used it along with ATi tool when i had my x1950xtx.... stupid coldbug for the gddr4 ram really sucked and limited my scores!!! but anyway.... i sorta just used ati tool for the fan speed control.... and the ability to clock higher than 700mhz on core

....no 85c,, when its testings etc... like 56c idle,,, is that normal?

It's not the best temps in the world, but it probably won't hurt anything. Video cards can get pretty hot before they start messing up.

Though I would think about buying a new cooler sometime soon.

does anyone know if ati tool works on winows vista? and also, what are the things you really need to keep that oc settings on ur graphics card? does ati tool have everything you need so those oc settings will stay on ur card?

I believe so yes,,, my clock speeds that I have "set" are on a profile on ATi Tool, and they load when windows starts.... so I believe they stay... You can leave ur default too though so you can change back etc. Not to sure though,,, im a new user :)

does anyone know if ati tool works on winows vista? and also, what are the things you really need to keep that oc settings on ur graphics card? does ati tool have everything you need so those oc settings will stay on ur card?

The settings will only stay if ATi Tool is on. If you shut ATi Tool off it goes back to stock. The reason is because the video card has a BIOS of its own which has programmed clocks in it. When you over clock it you don't change the BIOS, so unless it's being persistently over clocked (via a program being on) it will use the BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom