Fried, but not really, but kinda...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
ok, this is an update from my "Fried" post

to update, my cpu w/c system leaked all over my volt modded 7900GT and i finally got all the hardware i needed to install a scythe ninja in place of my water cooling. i cleaned my gfx card really well with a toothbrush and alcohol, removed the volt mod, cleared the bios, and installed a fresh copy of xp.

the pc runs great, but you can see artifacting on basically every screen from the mobo logo thru to when windows comes up. its only a hand full of pixels but its annoying and they shouldnt be there! after i got all the mobo and gfx drivers installed and updated and it was still happening, i cleaned the card again but there was negligible improvement.

so i installed HL2 and started playing CS:S hust to see what happens. the frame rates are really low (i would guess 20-30) and sometimes the different skins, wether it be players, nades, etc will get a straight line coming out of them to infinity... as i played, the bugs became fewer, but the frame rate went down too. I'm pretty sure i need a new gfx card... any recommendations to get this straightened out?

oh, when i installed the scythe ninja... 2 capacitors were too close to the unviversal clip i got from scythe... i had to like push down super super hard and ended up bending the capacitors out of the way... they are still pressed against the heat pipes, but i think they're ok....

I think your graphics card may have gotten damaged in the w/c incident.... May be time for a upgrade to something bigger and better.

Boooo!!! i forgot to tell you i have a kill the messenger of bad news policy... sorry

hehehe

The water could have also possibly affected the pci express slot. I would go buy a cheapo at best buy or some place with a return policy just to make sure it's not only the video card. Worst case scenario is it's a problem with both your pciE slot and your 7900

i benchmarked my cpu w/ sandra and it (and presumably most of the mobo) was performing up to snuff so at least i know its not my mobo/cpu... it could of course be the pci-e slot, i'll have to try and get a friend to give up a card to experiment.

i played some DoD and CS:S again last night and the bugs wernt very bad, but the fps were still low probably in like the 25-30fps...just barely fluid, border line lag. i'll check the settings, maybe i can turn down some settings to make it smoother. im half tempted to oc alil and c what happens, but i'll probably end us worse than i am now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom