Gaming Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumapalooza

Baseband Member
I don't know a thing about monitors, just saw "HDMI" and "1080P" and I assume any game would look glorious on this...right? are there any downsides? (besides the price)

Newegg.com - BenQ FP241W Black 24" 16ms (6ms GTG) DVI Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor 500 cd/m2 1000:1 1080P - Retail

I want an awesome monitor for gaming. I'm also looking into buying

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail

So far it's between these two. Any input would be much appreciated. Nobody likes wasting money, lol.

Anything else I should look for in a monitor?

Sorry, should have said more:

I may not have the best information, and I'm going to be kinda brief, (time constraint on my side),

For the most part, by brand, these are where they are ranked, from what I've picked up from other members on this forum and in articles.

Samsung or LG --> high quality
Viewsonic or Acer --> less then above, but still good.

Dell --> somewhere either slightly above, equal to, or less then samsung/LG area.

Pixel pitch, the distance between pixels on the screen. the smaller this is, the sharper the images can look.l (although it might not be noticeable).

Contrast ratio , the difference between darkest and lightest, dynamic contrast ratios mean that they under power pixels to achieve a darker black.

viewing angle, important if you will not be sitting directly in front of it, or if others will be viewing from the side, (i.e sitting next to you),

Hight, tilt, etc. adjustments, only you can decide. I know they are neat to have, but the height adjustment, tilt, and swivel is what I look for.

response time, anything below 8ms and you are good. in theory the lower you get the less ghosting you'll have, but I run a 8ms samsung, and see no ghosting what so ever.

brightness, 300 cd/m2 is what the samsung has, I don't remember what the number for this was that it was not noticeable anymore. (i.e. the human eye can only pick up soo much).

Computer display standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
look at that site, and read about the aspect ratios.

Even though the BenQ says 1080P, 1080 pixel is 1920 x 1080, where the monitor gets 1920 x 1200. Most computer monitors can "support" HD, because of the resolutions, but realize that the most common computer monitors are 5:4 or 16:10 or 4:3 while HD is 16:9 (somehow the TV and Computer monitor industry decided to not match them correctly...)

Don't know what else to say. the amount of colors can be important, and also note that LCDs are best viewed with standard (native), resolution, so make sure your graphics card can support the resolution of the monitor you pick. (i.e. my bro just got a new monitor that his graphics card wouldn't go to the correct resolution, so it looked horrible. after fixing the graphics card problem, it looked great). He got the Samsung 206BW, but that isn't what you are looking at. I run a Samsung 915N myself.

Hope that helps, but I ran out of time, I can add some more tomorrow...

get the samsung monitor as they are one of the best brands when it comes to screens, all dell and alienware screens are made by samsung.

This thread really asks the question whether it is better to have a great 22 inch monitor or a great 24 inch monitor. Putting price aside, how much better is a 24 inch monitor?

i would recommend a 22'' instead of 24... why? simply because unless you have an 8800gtx or Ultra ur gonna lag in games like crazy... at 24''

This thread really asks the question whether it is better to have a great 22 inch monitor or a great 24 inch monitor. Putting price aside, how much better is a 24 inch monitor?

It's a whole 2" bigger!!! Quite frankly I don't see what the big difference is. I don't think it's worth the extra 2" for the extra price...but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom