New GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
ok, i need a new GPU so i can play BF2 maxed out GABB!!! im only joking, any way, looking at the 7900GS or the 8600GT? Are those big ATI cards as good as they look? im talkking about the X1 range (is that what they're called?), i read somewhere on here the 7900GS kills the 8600GT, is that true

plz dnt recomend a 8800GTS, dont have the money :(

No credits to me, but here's an explanation teh_omar made about those 2 cards.

a 7900GS is a lot faster than an 8600GT, but it's missing the DX9 functionality. Most future games will be able to play in DX9 mode. There are no real main aesthetical differences between DX9 and DX10. Someone once described it like this: "DX10 has pretty much the same functionality as DX9, but it can do a lot more of those functions and more efficiently"

Look at it this way, PS3's running on a slightly modified version of DX9 (same goes for other current consoles) and it can still manage something like Killzone 2, which, visually at least, (and this is arguable), can be comparable to a DX10 title like Crysis, judging from a few HD videos available online. However, running at 720p is just about running something at 1280 x 720 (I think) and it runs @ 30 fps, which ain't really impressive by computer standards. It also depends on art direction too, for a game at least.

Anyway, whole rant aside, I'd go with a 7900GS or really put a little extra cash and get an 8800GTS which'll last you a **** of a lot longer. The 8600s and ATI's X2Ks are bread & butter market gimmicks. Last generations cards high-end cards, which are about the same price, will do a better job than the mid-range cards of this generation.

To me, I think the 7900GS would be better off running the games. The 8600GT isn't in my taste since it's not really meant for much gaming.

thanks phucng, how does the 7900GS compare with the ATI cards?

At stock the X1950PRO is better, but through overclocking, the 7900GS will win, because the PRO can't overclock much.

im not too bothered about overclocking, tbh i dnt really do it :( i really like the look of theos ATI cards though

If you use Omega drivers, there are no worries. Aftermarket cooing is a definite if you want to OC with a X1950XT, though.

I can play BF2 maxed, but I prefer to use settings that allow me the best visibility of the other players. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom