Should I Buy This GPU!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im still considering that 8600gt,,, it can prolly run those games listed on max settings on 1680x1050... and it has dx10.... im upgrading in the future,,, this is just to get by.. and it should run them all perf

7900's are pretty cheap but not cheap enough i basically need a card today and all im asking is can i max out bioshock and fear and like farcry with the 8600GT that i listed?

a 7900GS is a lot faster than an 8600GT, but it's missing the DX9 functionality. Most future games will be able to play in DX9 mode. There are no real main aesthetical differences between DX9 and DX10. Someone once described it like this: "DX10 has pretty much the same functionality as DX9, but it can do a lot more of those functions and more efficiently"

Look at it this way, PS3's running on a slightly modified version of DX9 (same goes for other current consoles) and it can still manage something like Killzone 2, which, visually at least, (and this is arguable), can be comparable to a DX10 title like Crysis, judging from a few HD videos available online. However, running at 720p is just about running something at 1280 x 720 (I think) and it runs @ 30 fps, which ain't really impressive by computer standards. It also depends on art direction too, for a game at least.

Anyway, whole rant aside, I'd go with a 7900GS or really put a little extra cash and get an 8800GTS which'll last you a **** of a lot longer. The 8600s and ATI's X2Ks are bread & butter market gimmicks. Last generations cards high-end cards, which are about the same price, will do a better job than the mid-range cards of this generation.

Well, maybe a 7900GS would be fine to play BioShock, Fear, BF2, and such others. 7900GS can support early DX10 games.

I can play Bioshock on medium settings, Fear is like butter with a little overclocking and BF2 can be played at high detail at highest resolution at stock settings.. All of this on a 7600gt.. So I'm sure a 7900 can play bioshock.

nice thanks for the input... i think im gonna go 8600gt for now, and then 8800gts l8er or wait for the 9 series whenever that comes out

a 7900GS is a lot faster than an 8600GT, but it's missing the DX9 functionality. Most future games will be able to play in DX9 mode. There are no real main aesthetical differences between DX9 and DX10. Someone once described it like this: "DX10 has pretty much the same functionality as DX9, but it can do a lot more of those functions and more efficiently"

Look at it this way, PS3's running on a slightly modified version of DX9 (same goes for other current consoles) and it can still manage something like Killzone 2, which, visually at least, (and this is arguable), can be comparable to a DX10 title like Crysis, judging from a few HD videos available online. However, running at 720p is just about running something at 1280 x 720 (I think) and it runs @ 30 fps, which ain't really impressive by computer standards. It also depends on art direction too, for a game at least.

Anyway, whole rant aside, I'd go with a 7900GS or really put a little extra cash and get an 8800GTS which'll last you a **** of a lot longer. The 8600s and ATI's X2Ks are bread & butter market gimmicks. Last generations cards high-end cards, which are about the same price, will do a better job than the mid-range cards of this generation.

There was an article a few days ago on digg that showed some ingame differences between dx10 and dx9. In games like World in conflict and Band of Heroes or w/e its called, I forget, there is little to no aesthetical increase but your framerates drop like a mother.

Can anyone else here vouch for that? What I am saying is that for some, dx10 may not really be a deciding factor in choosing a card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom