Buying good pair of SATA II drives now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
I'm about to buy some drives in the next few hours and I don't know what to go for.

I want to set up a RAID stripe of two fast drives. Anyone know what to go for. I guess my budget for the pair is about $300 and I'm hoping I can get something with a 16MB buffer and at least 200GB each, 10K RPM. Is that possible? Either new, or second hand on ebay...

I'm about to buy!!!

Nobody seems to know the conversion rate so I just say dollars :)
I will be buying in UK. Hopefully Americans can advise me what I could get in America and I can see what price I can get it for in UK. It's usually an extra 10 or 20% in UK.

EDIT: $300 is near enough £150.

I've just noticed a 150GB Western Digital Raptor SATA 16MB is £145 ($300) new in UK. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic?

May I ask why you have a budget in dollars if you live in the UK? Are you buying off a US shop, or...

EDIT: Get two of these

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

If your going for a striped RAID array then 10K RPM is sinmply not required.

How is it not required? I want fast loading :) ...the fastest.

Two Samsung 500GBs will be cheaper, be on par in terms of performance, and have ~6 times more storage than the raptor.

But nothing compared to a pair of Raptors. Perhaps I should have four 200GB 7200 RPM drives striped. That might be as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom