Question about processors before I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Baseband Member
I currently want to replace my 5 year old laptop which has one AMD Athlon 2.0ghz chip in it.

I will be shopping for a Core 2 duo chip this time around, but I don't know much about them compaired to the single older chips performance.

I am trying to get an idea of the Dual Core 2's performance vs. the single chip systems to judge what level of laptop I need to start shopping at.

For example, how would you compair a computer with the Dual Core 2 T2080 chips performance to my current AMD 2.0ghz chip? Will it meet or exceed my current computer's AMD 2.0 ghz performance?

Any modern day dual core will be better than the good'ol single core. (general public) What kind of laptop are you trying to get? Budget? Use?

Any modern day dual core will be better than the good'ol single core. (general public) What kind of laptop are you trying to get? Budget? Use?

What I wanted was something slightly better because I am on a budget.
I did not want to accidently buy a core 2 duo t2080 chipped computer and find that it was actually slower than a 2.0ghz Athlon.

So are we saying that a Core 2 Duo that runs 1.6ghz will be faster than a AMD Athon 2.0ghz (single chip)?

PS..what do you think about Toshiba...HP?

Oh ho ho ho. A C2D @1.6GHz will eat that puny 2.0GHz alive.

Toshiba, HP, and Dell makes good laptops. What are you doing with it? Gaming? Webbing? Just look for one with a price that you like and the specs will suit you perfectly.

From past experience, i would stay away from Toshiba. they are kind of loud. At work, I use an HP its pretty good BUT nothing, and i repeat, NOTHING is better than an IBM laptop. You get what you pay for, and from what you said, IBM would be way more than what you have to spend.

I have never had a dell laptop, i do however have a dell poweredge server and love it. So, can't really give my opinion when it comes to Dell laptops.

Good luck in your search :)

From past experience, i would stay away from Toshiba. they are kind of loud. At work, I use an HP its pretty good BUT nothing, and i repeat, NOTHING is better than an IBM laptop. You get what you pay for, and from what you said, IBM would be way more than what you have to spend.

I have never had a dell laptop, i do however have a dell poweredge server and love it. So, can't really give my opinion when it comes to Dell laptops.

Good luck in your search :)

I looked at IBM, but they dont have a 17 inch screen

I looked at IBM, but they dont have a 17 inch screen

If you are looking at a laptop as a desktop replacement, then 17 inch is great. But if mobility is important to you, then stay away from 17 inch. My toshiba was 15 inch and that sucker was pain in the butt to carry around.

I now have a 14 inch IBM P4m 2GHZ and this baby rocks. I've had it for over 3 years now and no problems what so ever :)

My brother bought a sony about 6 monthes ago and he loves it. It is 13 inch screen and runs like a sharm! it is actually a very nice looking sexy laptop lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom