Firewires and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunya

Beta member
I have a video carmera that requires a Firewire to connect to the computer. I am purchasing a new computer. The OS is Vista. The new system does not have a Firewire installed so I will need to purchase and install a card. While researching Firewires, I noticed that none of the ones I've looked at say they are Vista compatable. I know that Vista no longer allows networking with Firewire, but will it allow communications through one with a camera? Do I have to worry about buying a Firewire that does not say it is Vista compatable.

most stuff you just install it and it works without having to install drivers with vista,

Vista should have generic drivers for the FireWire PCI add-in card. they do not write any more about Vista compatibility on firewire cards, because, nearly 100% of the motherboard do come with FireWire chip installed on board. as older system with windoes 98, Me, 2000 dont had this pre-installed feature, so they built extra cards. however, I am pretty sure, any FireWire add-in will work perfect with Vista. btw, how come your new system isnt coming with a FireWire? is a brand new system? also, check out IEEE 1394 (this is another name of FireWire) as some vendors may complicate things :) putting impression on buyer, ohh, something new I am paying for.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I haven't received the CPU yet, so it may have Firewire (1394 port). I just didn't see it in the specs, so I was getting prepared in case I do need to purchase one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom