expert processor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseking25

In Runtime
Hi. I have a Dell XPS 400 and a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) proc. I am thinking about upgrading it but I have often heard that the XPS 400 mobo doesnt support Core 2 Duo even tho it is socket LGA 775 because it doesnt have a voltage regulator?? Can anyone explain this to me?

well.. just because its socket 775 it doesn't support core 2 duo... since they require bandwidth of the ddr2 ram interface.. but if it does support ddr2, then u could attempt to flash the bios.. and MIGHT be able to upgrade to Core 2 Duo... but u'd be limited since you can't overclock

check out your motherboard chipset. as Pentium D class use to draw more energy than many of the Core Duo's. so, it MUST not be an issue, but your Motherboard chipset should be.

Motherboard is LGA775 slot means it supports only a few LGA775 but not the Core 2 Duo's. Like vernong1992 said, to support Core 2 Duo you'll need the DDR2 Interface.

ok i dont think my mobo supports Core 2 Duo :( i hav another question tho...would it be worthwhile to upgrade my Smithfield Pentium D 820 (2.8ghz) to a Presler Pentium D 940-960 (3.4Ghz-3.6Ghz)?

No it won't. There is no significant increase in performance, if you were to upgrade to that processor. It would be best to save up for a new system, at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom