New Build in Progress - Generic so far, would like to add a personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sardonic

Baseband Member
Greetings - I have been lurking for a time and so far I have been able to construct a common build based on the recommendations given to others. The last time I built a rig was in 2001, which lasted me until this month. I have repaired it so many times before, I feel as though it is finally time to retire it and join the cool kids with today's technology. No budget, but I'm not trying to waste cash...:freak: It is doubtful that I'll do any video editing or intensive photoshop but I'd like to be able to do anything else. Yes, I want to play games! I have no intentions of overclocking at first, but I'm not specifically opposed to it.

MoBo - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
***I am a little worried about not having a second PCIeX16 expansion slot. In the future, a tangible upgrade would be a second GPU - I'd rather make the upgrade initally than buy a new MoBo at that time, although I've read enough to know that depending on how they decide to handle DDR3, I *might* want a new MoBo in a couple years anyway. Conclusion: This MoBo looks great, I am just wondering if there's something a step in a beefier direction. Also - only 3 PCI expansion slots?

RAM - Crucial Ballistix - Two 1 GB sticks 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
***Is this the right RAM to get? Are there alternatives with pros/cons?

GPU - EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
***This vid card is highly recommended and looks great to me. I have bought EVGA in the past. Eventually I might want 2 of these.

Monitor - SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 3000:1 - $259.99
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 3000:1(1000:1) - Retail
***This monitor looks great! the 226bw is also nice.

HDD - Haven't found one yet.
***In the past I have had issues with my gigabyte mobo & my HD being >137GB, required a PCI IDE card to recognize it. I assume this isn't going to happen this time!

PSU - Haven't found one yet.

Soundcard - Haven't found one yet.

Keyboard (prefer split)

Sorry that my build isn't complete. Some stuff I don't know yet, like what kind of juice I'll require in a PSU or how many additional system fans I'll need. I guess those would both (to a degree) depend on the ergonomics of my case.

welcometotf2xr9.png

The choices so far are excellent.

For the hard drive:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Power supply:
Newegg.com - XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 550W ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100-240V / 200-240V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Retail

Sound card not necessary. Unless you have an ear for sound.

What CPU will you be getting?

Sorry guys, I get a bit bothered everytime you guys say soundcard not needed. Especially since Ive heard the differance between great mobo sound and a great sound card ( theres an audible differance! esp if u factor in the X-fi enhancements ). Just take a read at this review: bit-tech.net | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer

from the review:

"Some people would argue that on-board sound does the job just fine, especially since many now offer the same extra Dolby and DTS that discrete cards use, but the sound quality of the XtremeGamer is just head and shoulders over anything on-board. "

I got mine for 50 bucks after MIR at circuit city. Not too shabby! never skimp out on the sound of a system ( important ) and the mouse! ( also very important )

^ i'd disagree

well ya... if ur getting a high-end sound card, u'd notice the difference, but if ur getting some cheap one.. theres no point in getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom