Intel HD Audio with an Antec Sonata 3 Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilniro

Beta member
Hi. My sound card doesn't work. The case came with 2 connectors: an ac97 and a hd a. However the intel mobo i'm using(desktop board dq35jo)has two ports that are very different. One is for a 12 pin connector and says audio. The other is for a 16 pin connector and says hd audio. Im using vista so i need to use the onboard hd audio to get ne sound. Both the two connectors are 12 pin. So do i plug the hd a connector into the port that says audio or do i put it partially on the port that says hd audio?:confused:

This is the first system that i have built and everything works except my audio.:freak:
I would really like to fix this. Help is APPRECIATED GREATLY :D .

Welcome to Tech-Forums!

Have you installed the drivers for your sound card yet? It should be that the HD plugged into the HD audio and the other one plugged to the regular audio. You can check by reading your motherboard's manual if it came with it.

I've tried to install the sound drivers that came with the board. One problem is that when I go to device drivers the Sound, video and game controllers category is no longer there. Under system devices there is an hd audio controller however.

"should be that the HD plugged into the HD audio and the other one plugged to the regular audio"

The HD plug that came with my case only has 12 pins and the mobo has a 16 pin slot. Do i just partially plug the connector? Also I've been told that AC'97 should not be plugged in at the same time that the HD A is. But I'm not sure if this is true. Im very new to technology:(

When I go into device manager sound is usually under "sounds, video and game controllers" right? But device manager doesn't have that category. Under system devices there is a "high definition audio controller" and there is also another category "other devices" with a big question mark on the icon. In that category there is a device called "PCI Serial Port" but I'm not sure if thats relevant. Besides that theres no sound device being detected. :(

Ty in advance for taking the time to help me :D. This is getting really frustrating. I want to rip my hair out like Homer Simpson when he figured out Marge was pregnant =/. Oh well what doesn't kill us just makes us stronger right :D.

Plugged it into the 16 pin. Earlier i said both connectors were 12 pin but they are actually 10. As a result i have 4 pins free to the right of the connector and 2 free to its left. Its the only way i can plug the connector into the mobo. Yet still no dice. I reinstalled drivers and nothing changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom