Proper PSU for build

Status
Not open for further replies.

3r1c

Baseband Member
I've been reading post around the forum saying wattage doesn't mean much and amperage is more important. My question is how much wattage/amp's do a PSU I need to get for a Q6600/overclocked and powering a 8800 GTS. I searched around for a proper psu for my build and read spec's on them. So far people said 35+ amp PSU would be good. Now PSU have dual 12V+ rails, does it mean each rail can support 35+ cause I came aross some psu that has 4 rails and have 15 amp on each rail. Please suggest a psu for me cause I'm seriously confused about this.

I second this question: Surely given that the 12v rail is ermm... 12v, wattage = K*'ampage'- higher wattage means higher current! innit! I don't understand this mystical impression that the two are somehow independent! Or can you get more power being outputted through the lower volt rails (making the 12v rails capable of only small power output?). Don't geddit!

31rc said:
Now PSU have dual 12V+ rails, does it mean each rail can support 35+ cause I came aross some psu that has 4 rails and have 15 amp on each rail. Please suggest a psu for me cause I'm seriously confused about this.

You would combine the total of all the rails. So a four rail with 15A on each rail, would be 60A.

Some power supplies aren't very efficient. They claim monster watt values, but if you test the amperage on the 12v rails it isn't going to be as good as a quality power supply with less watts...

It is tried and tested that if you buy a QUALITY power supply with the correct wattage it will work.. :)

For your build I want to say use a rosewill 550w, just make sure you have the sufficient amperage to power the video card. If it can do that then you should be good to go.

Xclio GreatPower 550w would be a great choice at only a price of $90. 52AMP on 3 +12V rails. What else can you ask for when that's such a great PSU for a great price? :happy:

Some power supplies aren't very efficient. They claim monster watt values, but if you test the amperage on the 12v rails it isn't going to be as good as a quality power supply with less watts...

It is tried and tested that if you buy a QUALITY power supply with the correct wattage it will work.. :)

^ that.. and most if not all amperage is on the 3.5V rail

Xclio GreatPower 550w would be a great choice at only a price of $90. 52AMP on 3 +12V rails. What else can you ask for when that's such a great PSU for a great price? :happy:

Xclio wins with the cool name and good PSU for the price award :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom