Mod USB 1.1 to 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he's confused as to how usb works. They don't work like ram, video cards or cpu's work, in the sense that by increasing voltage you can get more power out of them. (am i correct?)

and he want's to add power to the keyboard, in the hopes that by adding power the lackluster usb 1.1 thats onboard the keyboard can be turned into a 2.0

Okay, let me make sure I know what you want here:

You want to make the two USB 1.1 ports on your G15 into two USB 2.0 ports, correct?

You can't just change the heads, no. However, you can still make a little mod for it.

You'll need the following:
- An old USB cable (from an old keyboard, mouse, printer cord, whatever)
- A soldering iron with solder
- Heatshrink and a way to melt it (hair dryer or heat gun)

Open your G15 and find where the wires go from the two USB 1.1 ports. You can either cut the wires and tape up the bare ends, or desolder them from the circuit board...your choice.

Now, you should have just the USB heads and some cut wires. Now take your old USB cable and cut the outer insulation off. You should be left with 5 wires (red, black, yellow, green and a bare one). Cut the coating off each wire and solder the old USB cable to the G15 headers. Heat shrink them and what not.

Now, you can run the wires through the G15 and plug it into an empty USB 2.0 slot on your PC. Basically, it's just routing whatever you plug into the keyboard into a main USB 2.0 slot.

Thank you CrazeD, that is an extremely good workaround I didn't think of.

It seems I don't know how USB works after all, because I did think that it would need more power, with windows always telling me there's not enough power to charge my ipod, or "high powered usb ports". I just assumed and never looked into it, but I will now.

Thanks for not flaming at my ignorance and perseverance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom