OCing: X2 3600+, evga 8800, and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don`t keep putting the voltage up carelessly. You have to be careful. What you could do is lower the multiplier, it will give you a slower clock but then you just have to raise the fsb to re-gain the lost speed. By doing this your also increasing the overall preformance of the PC because now the bus speed has been raised which allows more calculations to pass through.

It`s like a highway, the speed limit is 60mp/h or 100km/h by raising the bus speed you can raise the speed limit to 110km/h or 65mp/h.

Don`t keep putting the voltage up carelessly. You have to be careful. What you could do is lower the multiplier, it will give you a slower clock but then you just have to raise the fsb to re-gain the lost speed. By doing this your also increasing the overall preformance of the PC because now the bus speed has been raised which allows more calculations to pass through.

It`s like a highway, the speed limit is 60mp/h or 100km/h by raising the bus speed you can raise the speed limit to 110km/h or 65mp/h.

lol, I don't know if I'd call it careless...i've done it all one step at a time...up the bus one notch at a time until it maxes out, then up the voltage one level and start over with the bus again. I think i've him my max at this point a 2.95Ghz for 1.45, don't want to push it anymore than that. what I'll do now is play with the multiplier a bit and see if i can max it out a little high by going the above road you mentioned. this way i know what the max is i'm willing to go with the 9.5x multiplier as a benchmark.

thanks...lol, more to play with.

[edit]Ok, strike that last comment...i was having problems with boot up when I manipulated the multiplier but since i have a bunch of guys coming over tomorrow night to LAN I'm going to leave the CPU as is @ 2.9ghz and get the RAM running at close to its peake. I'll come back and fine tune the CPU later and try for that 3.0

So my question is now what do I start working on with the RAM? the timings haven't been changed but I've raised it from 400 to 533 and changed the ht multiplier to 3x instead of 5x.[/edit]

Not a huge problem but is anoying:

Used ATITool to OC the video card but every time I boot up it defaults to original settings and I have to manually load the OC'd ones. How do I set the new settings as default?

OCd to 670/1020 does that sound reasonable for the EVGA 8800 320MB?

Temps: 50 C @ idle and 74 C @ load

dooooooooooood.
you cant be manipulating the multiplier with that motherboard. it doesnt like it.
and as far as dropping your multiplier and raising the fsb....your fsb is around 300, right?
well, its not going to get much higher than that. lets say you are at 2.95 @310mhz x 9.5. well, to get to 2.95 mhz with an 8 multi, you need a fsb of 368mhz.
that aint gonna happen. (nothings impossible lol)
im just saying, it is not as easy as dropping the cpu multi with the low end amd cpus that have a low multi to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom