Stupid American Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
Why am i always hearing this:

"Maybe in America, over here in _____ that gpu costs 2x more."

Cant you just get it from eBay or theres got to be some way to get it shipped over seas... or is that illegal to buy computer parts from another country?

(btw ive already googled) :p

I wouldn't want to trust eBay with my computer parts. OEM sucks *** because you'll probably have to find the software, and when you can't find it, you're screwed.

Ya, a lot of companies that don't support out of US sales will not give customer support to other countries.

And with PC parts that is not a good thing at all... tends to detour people from a lot of those Ebay international auctions.

international shipping is slow, expensive, and can easily get lost or customs rejected, or even held in some weird post office leaving you pretty much sol. Customs fees can be pretty high for imported goods, too. The company that finally creates a reliable work around for international sales will be the new Microsoft.

With electronics I prefer a retailer with a high reputation. Electronics are sensitive and sometimes you would have to return them.

as jorsoft03 says, its the import tax that really kills you. Really works out much more expensive. Found out the hard way trying to source a replacement laptop screen (my PC manufacturer in the UK was quoting me at £600 (~$1200) for the part- jokers). Got it cheap from the US, but the import tax was a nasty hit.

You can get around it (illegally) by labelling things as gifts, but if the person/company who sent it is willing to do that, they won't be at all large/official so
-no customer service/returns (which'll cost an arm and a leg in post anyway)
-Would you trust some random dude on eBay, advertising (with no pic or description) 'Q6600. Brand new' (Have you noticed how many jokers try to sell things that way?)

for example a 8800GTS is about £180-£226, thats $357-$448, on newegg they are $250-$380, thats £125-£191

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom