Laptop wont play video smoothly anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I've got a Compaq 7770DMT running Windows98, with 233Ghz (Pentium 1), and 64MB RAM. I bought it used about two years ago, and had very few problems. Within the last month, though, I noticed it getting very slow when running anything as simple as Internet Explorer or moving files, and games and videos played like slide shows, out of sync with the audio (which still played fine).

I did a clean reinstall of Windows98, thinking that would solve my problems. It solved all but the one I wanted to solve the most, the video/games problem.

The laptop is running as smooth and fast as ever, with a few less freezes/lock ups. But the video playback is still choppy, slow, and slideshow-ish. It used to be able to run whole 600 MB movies without trouble, but now anything bigger than a 3 minute clip plays like crap. And my Windows games don't play as quickly as before (but DOS games run fine).

I'm thinking this is either a video card problem, or RAM problem. I can buy and replace the RAM memory cards myself easily, but if it's the video card that's fried, then I'm just going to save up for a new laptop (too much trouble to buy the part(s), pay for installation AND find a place that can do it just for a laptop that can't do much in the first place).

NOTE: Laptop has always run much better with hardware acceleration OFF. I've had hardware acceleration off for as long as I can remember on that thing. With it on, the problem is worse.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, etc appreciated!

I think your pentium 1 hardly to run the latest multimedia applications, is better for u to buy a new laptop rather than upgrade it.

Didi: it ran them perfectly fine before. Besides, all I wanted to use it for was ZoomPlayer or maybe Windows Media Player if nothing else works... And I don't want to upgrade it, I just want it to work the way it did before (a new laptop would be really nice, though I can't afford anything near it).

Vnet: Well, with it set to 16bit, I can watch something similar to a music video (in file size... around 40 MB), but still wont work with anything bigger (which sucks, as I don't know how to lower resolution and all that of video files, or separate them into watchable chunks, which I think would work with it this way). Thanks a lot, though, it's much better than before!

I even tried 256color setting (just for kicks) but big files still didn't work on that. Could that possibly mean it's a RAM problem?

EDIT: It seems the problem includes file TYPE. So far...

MPEG file 40 MB: worked perfectly
AVI file 33 MB: very choppy, not watchable
ASF file 174 MB: worked perfectly (even full screen!)
Launch Music Video: worked perfectly @ 128k quality (300k was choppy and unwatchable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom