8800 GTX stable with no screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Yeah seriously why do I always keep running into problems? Anyways for the thermaltake armor case I had to remove the toolless clippy thing for the PCI express/PCI slots cause obviously my 8800 GTX is too big and takes up two slots ( this clippy thing only supports 1 slot ). With the NZXT Zero case this wasnt a problem as I just screwed the card in, but this time the cards metal PCI bracket actually blocks the microscopic hole to screw the thing in...so I was wondering if I should drill into the PCI metal slot or something ( might void warranty ) or is it just fine as it is? It shifts like 1 mm left or right even when fully seated in the PCI express slot which is seemingly ridiculous for Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

I wouldn't advise leaving it that way... drilling one little hole in the case is probably not going to void the warranty.... but you would have to remove a lot of the parts (motherboard, everything that is on it) so metal shavings don't cause any problems.

This happened to me before, when the PCI bracket of my x1950pro, wouldn't match the case's screw holes. Somehow I forced the card into moving towards the back, where I was able to screw it in.

This happened to me before, when the PCI bracket of my x1950pro, wouldn't match the case's screw holes. Somehow I forced the card into moving towards the back, where I was able to screw it in.

how can I do this? Isnt the PCI express just in 1 place? It seems like my mobo has like 3 mm of space between the very back metal of the case but I mounted it correctly

Don't my word for it, but what I did, and I took the risk....is really squeeze the back of my case and the graphic card's PCI bracket together as much as possible. Just so the screw hole will show up.

That's what I had to do with my VGA. I think my motherboard isn't seated properly, but everything seems to work so I'll leave it as that. Had to kind of push my VGA towards the hole so that my screw can hold it down.

As long as you aren't transporting the case around the card should fit into the pci-e slot tight enough to hold it in place.... but this isn't a perfect world so your mobo might not hold it that tight.

Gabb, I have the thermaltake armor and the 8800GTX as well. I installed it screwless and I was disappointed at how much the GTX shakes. Install the screw for safety. I like to know my hardware is secured. That's a 500+ dollar hardware you don't want shaking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom