Computer not recognizing all Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

tctuner83

Solid State Member
I have a sony PCG-FRV26 notebook. It originally came with 512 mb of ram. 2-256 sticks pc2100. I know that I can upgrade the notebook to a gig and I did this using 2 512 sticks that are rated at 2700 but will also work at 2100. I check bios and it says that the computer has like 492 mb or something around there. It's the same thing when I check in windows itself. I tried each stick individually and I get 192 mb from each stick. Not really sure why it won't recognize all ram. I ran a Pc Wizard 2007 and that showed that I had Gig installed. Definitely not right because the computer is just as slow as before.

Since it's a laptop, some of the memory is being used by the integrated graphics chip.

I tested each individual 512 stick and the bios and my computer properties only recognized 192 mb. With both sticks in only about 482 mb. I have the video memory set to only take about 64 mb of the memory.

Again do as Eric suggested. Yes your integrated GFX will take away RAM. But since your system in not recognizing it at all in the first place it doesnt concern the GFX. You have to update your BIOS.

then your system should fully recognize the RAM and then you should ahve your 1GB minus the 64MB being used by GFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom