transfering data from old hd to new

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
I want to get a new hd and use the one i have now as a secondary. The question I have is can I just straight copy everything I have on the current hd to the new one (once formatted and all), take out the current one and the comp will run just fine? I really don't want to have to go thru a fresh install of the OS and lose boocoo software that I probably won't be able to re-aquire again.

jaknlisa619 said:
I want to get a new hd and use the one i have now as a secondary. The question I have is can I just straight copy everything I have on the current hd to the new one (once formatted and all), take out the current one and the comp will run just fine? I really don't want to have to go thru a fresh install of the OS and lose boocoo software that I probably won't be able to re-aquire again.

No, you can't just copy your OS system files over to the new HDD. In order for your new HDD to boot up to the OS, the boot sector needs the necessary information in order to know where to locate your OS files.

You need to use a tool like Norton Ghost; Drive Image or similar appc. in order to make a perfect clone onto the new HDD.

Once you've cloned it, make sure you have the correct jumper settings when installing the hdd.

EDIT: good god my grammar was p*ss poor... i've cleared it for ya a bit. Hope i didnt' confuse you too much.

jaknlisa619 said:
is there a freeware program to do this?

If you do a google search, i wouldn't doubt you might find some. However, I wouldn't trust any of my personal data to some freeware utiliyt that migth or might not work 100%.

Bottom line is that I wouldnt' risking losing any of my personal data - I'd definitely spring for the $40 bucks (or whatever it is) and ensure your data/OS is moved safely.

Norton Ghost is well known, but certain Acronis True Image and Drive image are all good as well. With all the good things i've heard about True Image, that will be my next software to purchase.

Install your new HDD and then install OS on it. Once done, you can install the other HDD and copy over any files you want (non-OS). This way, you won't lose any software that you can't re-aquire. Note that this will not work on installed programs but on files only.
You may also try this but I'm not sure if it will work 100 %. Do a ghost of your old HDD, then install your new HDD and remove the old one. Copy your ghost on your new HDD. You may have to repair/reinstall OS. Again, not sure if this will work but it may be worth a try.

yeah, its the installed software that i don't want to lose. i have antivirus/firewall and the best popup blocker that i have ever seen that i have a subscription for that i don't recall how i got.

i have everything tweaked just to the way i want it and god forbid having to go thru with all that work again to get it running just right.

zerozero said:
Install your new HDD and then install OS on it. Once done, you can install the other HDD and copy over any files you want (non-OS). This way, you won't lose any software that you can't re-aquire.

ZeroZero, that's not the way it works. Jack, if you do a fresh install of say W2K for example, you will need to REINSTALL those applications you want back. You can't simply copy your programs directory over to the new hdd and hope they're gonna work. Any worthwhile program will make vital changes to the registry during the installation process.

You cannot just simply copy the OS files onto a new HDD exactly for the reason i stated in my previous posting.

well, i knew that the programs had to be re-installed cuz of the registry....i was just hoping that the whole HD (not just the OS)could be just straight copied over to the new one, take the old one out and the new one would work.....darn, oh well....guess thats the draw back of getting a new HD.....

jaknlisa619 said:
.....darn, oh well....guess thats the draw back of getting a new HD.....

That's exactly why software vendors have created backup utilities like Norton Ghost to make that migration much easier!

You may not want to spend that extra $40-50 for the software, but it's wise investment in the long run. It's a good thing to make an image of your hdd in case of a hdd failure or to make a back up of any personal data you dont' want to risk losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom