Video Card Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabar

Solid State Member
I was just browsing around and I saw

Powercolor Radeon X1950XT 625MHZ PCI-E 512MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I VIVO HDTV Out Video Card

Is this not better than an 8800GTS? Or am I missing something here?

Are there less stream processors or something??

The X1950XT, doesn't have stream processors. They have pixel shaders. The 8800GTS is more powerful, than the X1950XT. Just because, a card has more video memory, doesn't mean it's better.

The X1950XT, doesn't have stream processors. They have pixel shaders. The 8800GTS is more powerful, than the X1950XT. Just because, a card has more video memory, doesn't mean it's better.

Mind elaborating a little bit on why? I'm at work right now or I'd google it :freak: I was basing it on the core speeds and memory... So what'd be the equivalent of the 8800GTS for ATI then?

The HD 2900XT, is comparable to the 8800GTS. The 8800GTS has 128 stream processors, which is more efficient, than the X1950XT's 48 pixel shaders.

* A cluster of smaller GPUs, which will be comprised of modular designed units and connected through an interconnect such as HyperTransport or a FSB [1][3], will replace the current single large GPU design used in current high-end graphics cards [1][3]. Therefore, the R700 will be more modular and more scalable than previous GPUs. [1]

* The R700 may have much better energy efficiency, maybe derived from Phenom processors' split power-planes[4], and may also enable power saving in idle mode. [citation needed]

* According to Phil Hester and Dave Orton, the Radeon R700 will be targeted to launch on a 55 nm fabrication process with 6-month product cycle for enthusiast and performance segments, with small updates (presumably a die shrink, minor architectural changes, and improvements to performance) to the architecture every 6 months after original architectural release. For mainstream and value segments, the product cycle will instead be 12 months without architectural alterations. The planned successor, presumably codenamed the Radeon R800 aimed at a 2008 launch, will be targeted to launch on a 45 nm fabrication process [5], with the expectation that the Radeon R800 will be compatible with the next major version of DirectX API which is aimed at a 2009 launch.

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom