Building a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheeppOSU

Solid State Member
Sorry I know there are 100 threads like this but any help would be appreciated. This will be my first real build and I don't want to blow it just buying bad or outdated items. I have two items already bought and the rest is what I intend to buy and I have a few questions.

Samsung 216BW
Antec 900
These two I already bought I liked them after looking at them online

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
Intel 2 Quad Q6600
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250GB SATA X 2
GeForce 8800GTX
Tuniq Tower 120
Corsair 520HX

Ok here are the questions I had:
I am not sure about the Power Supply. I don't have a lot of plans for upgrade anytime soon will the 520HX be good enough or should I get something bigger.

I have read the boards a bit and it seems that most people think 2GB of RAM is plenty does anyone think there is much of an advantage to getting 4GB? I will probably just be using Windows XP since I am familiar with it. And the computer will mostly be used for gaming (MMORPG mostly).

The last question I had was about the CPU cooler. It seemed to look huge will that fit this case ok?

If anyone can help with any spec changes that would be appreciated also. I really don't know a ton so if I asked anything stupid no offense will be taken if you tell me =) As far as price I didn't really have a budget but I don't want to waste money on just something I won't need for gaming in the near future.

Thanks for any help

a1: The PSU is fine for the build.
a2: 2GB is enough for what you'll be doing.
a3: Yes, the Tuniq Tower will fit in the Antec 900.
a4: That's the build that Tech Forums recommend: all high quality parts. You might consider the P35 DS3R, not P35C DS3R.
a5: No question is stupid. No amount of questions can be too much.
a6: This rig will handle most future games, for several years to come.

a1: PSU will last you long enough. Stick with the 520HX.
a2: 2GB is all you need unless you're going to do some video editing.
a3: Tuniq Tower will definitely fit mostly any tower.
a4: Tech-Forums recommend this build. Instead of the P35C-DS3R, you might want to take a look at the P35-DS3R.
a5: All questions will be answered one way or the other. ;) Don't worry about asking too many questions.
a6: Your computer will be able to play most future games.

I pretty much just paraphrased what Peter said. :p

I was reading a little bit about that board and it seemed some people were having problems with XP and the board getting the HDs into RAID. I was wanting to set the drives up into RAID 0. Anyone else know much about this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom