Not open for further replies.

Elmo

Beta member
Hey guys. I just built my new computer, here are the specs:
-Pentium4, 2.8ghz, 800mhz FSB
-Asus P4P800S Motherboard
-Mushkin PC3200 512mb ram
-Geforce 4 Ti4200
So let me tell you the problem. I put my computer together, connected all the cables. I pressed the power button, and the computer started up for about 0.5seconds, then turned off and would not start again. I turned the power off, then back on(power supply, not front button), and the computer then did the same thing over;it started for half a second, then turned off. I proceeded to look for problems, and found out that my motherboard had space for 2 power cables, not one. This surprised me, because the last computers I had built all had one. I plugged in the second cable, but the computer only did the same thing. So, that is where I am. I looked through the mobo manual and it said that I need to plug in both or I could cause "severe" damage to my CPU and mobo.
Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!

What is the wattage rating of your PSU - have you checked to make sure it's sufficient? Those symptoms sure sounds like it's nto getting enough juice from the PSU.

If PSU was good and had sufficent wattage, then you would atleast see a BIOS startup screen. Since the PC can't even make it to that point, i'm gonna bet my money it's a POS PSU or insufficient for your specs.

Hey guys. My PSU(power supply, right?) is 300watts. Is it possible that my computer takes up too much power? I have basic components. I only have an 80GB HD, 48x CDRW, GF4Ti4200,Creative 5.1 sound card, and the ones in my first post. I have 3 case fans plus one big CPU fan. Should I get a PSU with more wattage?
Thanks!

Elmo said:
Hey guys. My PSU(power supply, right?) is 300watts. Is it possible that my computer takes up too much power? I have basic components. I only have an 80GB HD, 48x CDRW, GF4Ti4200,Creative 5.1 sound card, and the ones in my first post. I have 3 case fans plus one big CPU fan. Should I get a PSU with more wattage?
Thanks!

I would definitely say you need a psu w/ more juice. With all the goodies you got in your system, especially the RAM modules and the video card, i'd venture to guess you need one rated at 450 watts minimum. (preferably 500 watts or more) There's a thread posted by one of the moderators with a link to a website that calculates the PSU wattage you need... do a search on our forum... i dont' have the link off-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom