FPS Slowdown and Crashing during Memtest86

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsoldier

Solid State Member
Hello, I am new to these forums. I got back to school last week to find my computer on the fritz. I booted up Guild Wars and after 10 seconds at the startup menu frames drop to 5-10 fps. No processes were running in the backround but CPU usage spike badly. I also noticed that my graphics card was running at 275mhz rather than 460mhz the graphics ram was also running low at 648mhz instead of 1.2. All of my games are doing this. I thought, **** it might eb windows, but to my surprise my comp crashed during memtest 86. Always crashes between 50 and 65 seconds. Did other stress tests on ram to find nothing. I also swapped both sticks and tried a different channel. Gaming and memtest seem to be the only sticklers. I ordered a new PSU this week seeing that my current one is three years old. Here are my specs. Intel Core 2 6600
BFG 7800 gtx 256mb
2gb G. Skill DDR 2 ram.
Ultra 500w PSU (which has been in my system since 2005)
MSI mobo

None of my parts are overclocked and I have been running this configuration for 3 months with no hiccups. Is there any one with any ideas.

50- 65 seconds. Don't have a second computer to test them however, I have tested ram under two other stress tests and no errors after large coverage times.

Ive had soem ram issues years ago with another rig, and there are no similar symptoms, only the lower fps in games. The underclocking leads me to think power

I have also heard on other forums that crashes during memtest can also be linked to dieing PSU and or mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom