Athlon XP or Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
i'm thinkin of a building a mid/high end gaming system for my girlfreind. She *wants* it to be around ~500 but that can be fixed. So what do you think? Athlon XP 3200+(2.2Ghz) 400mhz FSB or Athlon 64 3000+(2.0Ghz)

i was thinking of sticking with the socket A because socket 754's dead already and doesn't support dual channel memory. I figure if she wants a AMD 64 then i might as well get the 3500+(socket 939)

any suggestions?

754 doesn't support Dual Channel? Maybe some, but not all.

My opinion, Athlon-64 3000+.

754 is incapable of supporting DUAL channel RAM. What ever was written in that URL is bull shit. The only AMD64 to support it is the FX series, which is Socket 939.

agex000 said:
754 is incapable of supporting DUAL channel RAM. What ever was written in that URL is bull shit. The only AMD64 to support it is the FX series, which is Socket 939.

I got off my lazy ass and did some research. You were right. How sad. I'm glad i didn't buy it. I guess my mobo and it's nForce 2 chipset ain't that bad at all.:p

rakesh_1024 said:
Well my opinion-Wait for the newer technologies like DDR2, PCI-Express to come out.

I know boards for Athlon 64 with PCI express are coming out. Although, since DDR2 has such high latency which doesn't work as well with Hyprtransport as DDR which has lower latency. I think AMD will stick with DDR and will revise their next memory controller to recognize DDR 500. Only if DDR2 can get low latency will AMD use DDR2, that or scrap the Hypertransport bus.

none of this really has to do with my question

socket A, 754, or 939?

i have everything else all picked out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom