SATA optical drive with nforce 4 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Donmeister

Solid State Member
I recently bought a SATA Asus lightscribe dvd-writer, and I really need some help getting it to work.

I'm running Windows XP on a Nvidia GA-K8NF-9 motherboard (it uses nforce-4 chipset), with two IDE hard drives, and an IDE dvd-rom. When I plug in the SATA dvd writer, the BIOS recognises it, and it works (I can boot cds from it), but Windows won't start. If I plug it in before starting Windows, windows runs the loading screen, then gives me a blue screen, and reboots. If I then disconnect the drive, it freezes on the loading screen, and I have to restart manually before Windows will work again. If I load windows before plugging in the drive, the same thing happens. Safe mode doesn't work. I've tried disabling automatic reboot on system failure, so I can read the blue screen, but it restarts anyway, so no luck there.

I looked at the event manager just after causing a blue screen, and found the following messages:
Error: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SI3114
Warning: The service "CiSvc" vetoed a target device change request.
Error: Error code 0000009c, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 805461f0, parameter3 b2000000, parameter4 00070f0f.

I've tried installing new drivers, I've tried updating the BIOS, I've made sure SATA is enabled, I've made sure SATA-RAID is disabled, nothing works. I've tried reinstalling Windows (both from the SATA drive and the IDE dvd-rom, and both with and without pressing F6 to install third-party drivers), and every time the installer program freezes on the "Starting Windows" line (note this is before anything has been installed to the hard drive).

I've searched all over, and can't find any info about optical SATA drives. Does anyone have any ideas what I should do???

set the ide DVD-rom as slave and plug DVD-RW SATA into the sata port, put in the windows xp cd into one of the drives and boot off it, next go to the repair option and a console should come up, type in: chkdsk , after its done type: exit

Tried both setting the ide-dvd-rom as slave, and running chkdsk, neither works.

Oh, and I found out what the BSOD says:
A problem has been detected...

*** STOP: 0x0000009c, 0x00000004, 0x805461f0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f.

Haha! I've fixed it. The problem was a faulty driver. When I opened up Device Manager, and looked under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, there was a NVIDIA nforce 4 Parallel ATA controller, and a NVIDIA CK804 ADMA controller. I uninstalled the ADMA controller and replaced it with a NVIDIA nforce 4 Serial ATA controller, and then everything worked fine. The driver I used can be downloaded here: WinXP/2k- nForce4 AMD

I hope this helps anyone else having this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom