Some vista questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anvir

Beta member
How much Ram use is normal for Vista? Basically even sitting at the desktop im seeing 50% of physicall memory usage.

the system has 1gig in it right now, with no open slots.

How much RAM depends on the system. You have 1GB with 50% used. That is about average for Vista PC's. I run 3GB and have less than 30% used.

Ye mine is usually at around 25~30% when im AFK and goest to 50% when im playing games, playing music and all those stuff. I never have any memory problems though, never really reach over 70% even when gaming.

Edit: To the above poster ^^^^^^^^ MetalOwns

MetalOwns, have you tried overclocking ur E6600 beyond 3.0GHz? I tried going from 333FSB to 366FSB and I get the blue screen when windows starts. Some memory issues, I dont know how to stop that from happening. How do you change the 2:3 ratio? I think its because of that.

When I clocked from 333FSB to 366FSB I downlocked my RAM from 1000MHz to 9XXMHz and I got that blue screen. Should I downclock it more? and change the timing from 5-5-5-15 to 6-6-6-18?

Not quite sure what to do to reach 3.3GHz

vista superfetch functions differently from how things used to work, people need to adjust themselves to a new way of thinking when it comes to ram usage.

do a little bit of research on this...I made some posts or comments regarding this but can't quite find, lol...better to link instead of post junk again :p

@ pinoy3000

Yeah, I've tried to get it higher, and it'll boot and run fine until I stress test it. Then it fails orthos rather quickly. I haven't played around with much as of late. I was planning to get it to around 3.2 or 3.4 at least, so I guess I'll have to work on that. You might need to give it more voltage to keep it from BSODing.

I've got my RAM running at a 10:8 ratio. So that's a little over 1000 I think. There should be an option in your BIOS that says something like memory multiplier or SPD or something like that. That will change the ratio.

If I were you I would probably downclock the RAM a little, and try giving the CPU more voltage if you haven't already. Also I don't know much about timings and that, so you would be better off asking in the overclocking forum. Unfortunatly, you and I may be owners of chips that don't overclock quite as well, but a 25% increase is decent.

I also have 1 giga ram (DDR) on Vista, and it occupies 60% at strartup cause I have many startup entries, such as sidebar, objectdock, micrososft mouse, microsoft keyboard, O&O defrag 10 & ati radeon.

@ pinoy3000

Yeah, I've tried to get it higher, and it'll boot and run fine until I stress test it. Then it fails orthos rather quickly. I haven't played around with much as of late. I was planning to get it to around 3.2 or 3.4 at least, so I guess I'll have to work on that. You might need to give it more voltage to keep it from BSODing.

I've got my RAM running at a 10:8 ratio. So that's a little over 1000 I think. There should be an option in your BIOS that says something like memory multiplier or SPD or something like that. That will change the ratio.

If I were you I would probably downclock the RAM a little, and try giving the CPU more voltage if you haven't already. Also I don't know much about timings and that, so you would be better off asking in the overclocking forum. Unfortunatly, you and I may be owners of chips that don't overclock quite as well, but a 25% increase is decent.

Ye mine is running really well and did hours and hours of stress test in Orthos with no Errors.

The only thing Ive done was tried OCing to 3.3GHz with these settings:

FSB: 366MHz
Voltage: 1.35
Multiplier: 9
RAM Frequency: 900ish between 900~1000
Timing: 5-5-5-18
Voltage: 2.0

Then it booted windows normally till after I logged on i got the blue screen.

I only tried it once, didnt change anything after that, didnt change the RAM frequency and what not I just went back to 3.0GHz which is what im running at now.

Current Settings:

FSB: 333MHz
Voltage: 1.337
Multiplier: 9
RAM Frequency: 1000MHz ---> I have DDR2 800 is 1000MHz overclocked?
Timing: 5-5-5-18
Voltage: 1.9

And this setting is running perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom