Wich is better 2 Xeon dual core or 1 Quad core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpaganuc

Beta member
Wich is better 2 Xeon dual core or 1 Core 2 Duo Quad ?

i´m planning to upgrade my system to work with video editing and rendering. Today my system is a Athlon 64 X2 4600 2 GB, but i think too slow for rendering video. My question is, wich is better: Intel quad core QE6600 4 GB RAM DDR2 800 MB Intel D975XBX2 or 2 Intel Xeon 5050 (dual core) 4 GB RAM Intel Motherboard S5000VSA? Wich one is more fast for rendering video? I will appreciate any answer.

Ive always wondered this..

Lets say "hypothetically" you had enough money to buy a server (for gaming).. would it just BLOW away current gen gaming builds?

For video editing, i would probly go with the 2 xeons, alot of the software now is optimized for multi processors with multicores

I placed this question because the two systems, as informed, cost approximately the same. Here, in the Brazil, i found the Xeon 5050 for approximately U$ 275.00 and the Cores 2 Quad QE6600 for U$ 500.00, motherboard S5000 VSA this around U$ the 550.00 and D975XBX2 U$ 500.00, thus I will have I cost of US$ 1,100.00 for 2 Xeon 5050 and US$ 1,000.00 for a QE 6600.
The fact of being for Server or desktop I do not believe to be relevant, the new Power Mac uses 2 Xeons Quad Core Clovertown core (the same technology of kentsfield core QX6800), the question is to know if, specifically Xeon 5050, an old model, Dempsey core (based on the Presler core) , more cheap, has better performance that Core 2 quad QE6600 for video and 3D rendering.
I´m believe for sure that 2 Xeons Clovertown (quad core) or two Woodcrest (dual core) run better for this kind of application than one quad only, but in this case the price is too high to pay.
Anybody knows any site that show a performance test of Xeon 5050?

in this case you would definitely be better with the quad core. the cache architecture on the Core 2 is much more conducive to SMP work, whereas using a multiprocessor Intel system isn't. the bus transfer between two Netburst processors would be pretty poor by comparison to the quad core. that and the fact that the raw power of the Core 2 Quad is considerably greater than that of two Xeon 5050's

Ive always wondered this..

Lets say "hypothetically" you had enough money to buy a server (for gaming).. would it just BLOW away current gen gaming builds?

I'm pretty sure the motherboards wouldn't even support a halfway decent video card. There would be no need for graphics cards on a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom