OCing: X2 3600+, evga 8800, and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, you misunderstand.
you have to drop the frequency of the ram, forget about the timings for now.
"in your bios go to:
advanced chipset features> enter
memory configuration > enter
memory timings > enter
timing mode > change from auto to user limit
memory clock limit > change from ddr2 400 ( ddr2 400 will be there from the auto setting it really isnt running at that speed, its running at ddr2 800 stock)to ddr2 533 or 667.
leave the main timings (the five numbers directly below memory clock limit) set at 5-5-5-18 2T for the time being"

no, you misunderstand.
you have to drop the frequency of the ram, forget about the timings for now.
"in your bios go to:
advanced chipset features> enter
memory configuration > enter
memory timings > enter
timing mode > change from auto to user limit
memory clock limit > change from ddr2 400 ( ddr2 400 will be there from the auto setting it really isnt running at that speed, its running at ddr2 800 stock)to ddr2 533 or 667.
leave the main timings (the five numbers directly below memory clock limit) set at 5-5-5-18 2T for the time being"

lol, those are great directions, i feel like i'm in grade 2 again :p lol, thanks i'm making that change as we speak....will post back in 5 seconds.

ok, tried 667 first and got blue screen of death...switched to 533 and we're up and running again. Now I go back to playing with the FSB on the CPU?

Thanks again, could not find where to access the RAM speed, not as obvious as the timings.

hey dude find those other numbers i mentioned in the system clocks page of bios and change them all to x3. they will all be set to auto, but will have a "x5" next to them.
that is an important step, or you will overclock your ht bus too much and crash.
also, if you are at stock voltage running at 255 cpu clock, you should go ahead and raise it a notch, you will have to pretty soon in any event.

Ah, i was wondering about that...there are three correct? all under HT Multiplier...what is HT multiplier anyways...that's the CPU to RAM conversion?

BTW, thanks again for helping me pick out the parts, here is what she looks like right now...only further changes i'll make will be a second HD and to switch the tape to sleeves when I have the cash...the tape cost 75 cents so can't really go wrong there, keeps it clean for now.

yes there are 3 sets.
no, not cpu/ram conversion (even though it 5 like my example before. coincidence lol) its the bus speed multiplier, sets the frequency at which your cpu can access information from the ram (or speed limit so to speak). the higher the frequency, the faster. but you probably wont even come close to using all of it, even with it set to 3. in general terms. it does not change anything about the ram. your system doesnt have a "fsb" so to speak, because the memory controller is built into the cpu. your ht bus is like the fsb of an intel, only faster (think about distance from point a to point b...). too bad its full potential has yet to be realized.

lol you will learn pretty quick.
hey dude thats a really neat job on the case, looks great!
i have never used an af-7 before...so i dont know this for sure...but i think you probably want the fan pushing air towards the exhaust fan in the back of the case? it may be doing that now, like i said i've never seen one before.

actually no, and certainly not if he has it set at a ratio other than 1:1, which would be a pretty odd (and uneccesary) thing to do on an am2 system. the cpu and ram are semi-connected (ie the ram speed will increase as the ext clock increases), but the ratio (divider) can be adjusted individualy.
ram frequency on the evga 590 (and all other am2 boards as far as i know) is dependent upon the speed (ddr2 400/533/667/800) he has selected, and also the cpu multiplier.
if your cpu is running at a cpu/5 ratio (ddr2 800) @ 2375mhz, your ram will be running at 475mhz, your cpu multiplier will be 9.5, and your external cpu clock (fsb if you will) is 250mhz. if you increase your ext clock to 275mhz, that will raise your cpu clock to 2612mhz, and your ram will then be running at 522mhz. 2612/5, get it? in no way is it as easy as "your cpu speed goes up 5mhz, so does your ram", unless you are running a 1:1 ratio. which is dumb if you have an am2 system and ddr2 800 ram, because you aint gonna get your cpu's external clock to 400mhz, therefore you will never realize your ram's full potential at 1:1.

Ok well I've been away from computers for a while, and haven't really even looked at new technology in the last like 4-6 months so I'm a bit off. So if I understand what your saying is you drop the ram speed to be 1:1 with the fsb then you can overclock the CPU and keep ram timmings tight without having to worry about the ram crapping out on you because it's already rated for 800mhz right? I'm still living in the past with my 939 system...still love it though:)

Ok, works at 280, crashes at 282....

Crashes after the XP logo comes up...

At 280 it's a core speed of 2.65ghz, according to BIOS temp is 27 celcius...more RAM tweaking or amperage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom