Need a cooling updgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
I just ran prime95 on my e6600. After a couple of minutes, I opened up Everest and saw my cpu at 60C. I immediatly shut off prime95 naturally. I just heard it was a good stress tester, but is it right for me to have my cpu run at 60C for it? All I want to do is see if my cpu is stable. I just OC'd it for the first time.

It doesn't go higher than 40 normally. Should I start looking into better cooling solutions? Water cooling seems a little complicated and risky for me. I'd be looking towards a Cooler Master Stacker 830 and putting 9 fans in it, along with the best cpu heatsink I can find.

60C is the "regular" upper limit for temperature of a CPU. What case/fan setup and heatsink do you currently have?

Thats pretty hot for an e6600, mine was only running at around 45C on stock cooling. My q6600 was running around 60 stock and is down to around 51 with my UR ultra-120 although im letting the as5 break in now so it should come down a few degrees. I think i may end up getting an antec 900 for better air flow if i cant get this thing down under 40 idle.

I'm using an NZXT Apollo, a mid-tower. It has a 120mm intake on the side and a 120mm exhaust on the rear. I use the Zalman CNPS9500 95mm cpu fan w/as5.

60C Load on an overclocked quad core is nothing terrible. When your dealing with the heat coming from 4 overclocked cores at load you need to either have the best **** heatsink or water cooling.

Theres a reason why the records for overclocked quad cores are all cooled by phase or ln2...

Check out Petra's Tech Shop and look at the d-tek fuzion block as the base for your loop.

If you need help hit me up via a pm or aim.

-aspire

i agree, something like this might help

suicide%20shot%20side.jpg

:laughing:

seriously, there are a few better heatsinks than yours, i'm not sure of the best ones or their names. to get better than that you'll have to start water cooling, i believe. and better than water cooling, you can try TEC cooling combined with water but you probably don't want to do that right now. :)

I'm kinda scared about going water. I think a Cooler Master Stacker 830 would help alot. Heck, you can put 9 120m fans in the dang thing. And since it's so big, you can fit a high profile HS like a Scythe Ninja. I think that should bring my temps down alot more than what I have now.

In my NZXT, I can mount one more intake fan up front, but that's right in front of the HDD bay, where half my wires are stored anyway. My wiring job is very poor also, but I can't seem to make it clean at all on this mid-tower. So that probably hurts my airflow.

The reason why I'm sketchy on the water cooling idea is because I'm a senior in high school atm, and I'll probably take this rig to college to serve as my desktop and back-up everything fromthe laptop I'd bring to class. The last thing I want to do is have a water cooling system break a seal or something while I'm doing a term paper.

So, do you think a CM 830 w/ 9 fans and a high profile HS would do the trick? :p

that's a wise approach. i too can't afford the price/ space of a second pc and my only pc must not get damaged.

that case looks great. it'd be interesting to see a review of it comparing the temps to that achieved in other cases but i'm sure it's several degrees cooler than yours. just make sure to get silent fans, i just bought two of 8" and i can't hear them over my mobo fan, they're really quiet. if your case has a load of fans in the side, or a grill, then you're going to hear your mobo fan (if you have one). mine's **** loud! easy enough to replace though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom